Banning social media threat to democracy: Ankit FadiaJanuary 24th, 2012 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 24 (IANS) Banning or blocking websites and social content on web is a threat to democracy and the freedom of speech of the netizens, cyber-security expert and ehthical hacker Ankit Fadia said Tuesday.
“Banning or blocking websites and social content on web is a threat to the democracy and the freedom of speech of the netizens,” Fadia told reporters here at the launch of his 15th book, “How To Unblock Everything On The Internet”.
“Government’s demand that Google and Facebook be held liable for malicious content is unreasonable,” he added.
Fadia said his new book would teach “non-technical users how to unblock access to everything on internet”.
According to him, the book targets college students and office goers who often face censorship by their respective institutions while accessing social networks from the classrooms or offices and the book provides basic tools to bypass the institutional blocking mechanisms.
Fadia further said that despite effective cyber-crime laws in place, India’s cyber security is not up to the mark due to lack of trained security personnel dealing with the issue,
“Our laws are good but we need to train our security forces in cyber security technologies. The cyber security of India is not as good as the countries like America,” said Fadia.
- Court declines plea on blocking of web pages - Sep 05, 2012
- Government denies internet censorship, Modi joins protest - Aug 24, 2012
- 'Ethical hacking is a booming industry' - May 07, 2010
- Social media becoming double-edged sword - Aug 21, 2012
- All websites should operate within Indian laws: Pilot - Feb 07, 2012
- New content control rules leave netizens sore - May 11, 2011
- Government denies censorship as Twitter agrees to block imposter sites (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Internet content control rule has industry backing - Aug 03, 2011
- Censoring social media curbs free speech, say netizens - Jan 16, 2012
- Rising phishing cases open career prospects for ethical hackers - Jul 24, 2011
- 'Ethical hacking' expert Ankit Fadia plans novel, movie on cyber terrorism - Oct 24, 2010
- Cyber terrorism next big threat to India: Cyber security whizkid (With Images) - Nov 24, 2009
- Can't control content, Google, Facebook tell court (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Ramdev creates ripples in cyberworld - Jun 05, 2011
- Court puts off hearing on Google, Facebook pleas (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: basic tools, book targets, crime laws, cyber crime, cyber security, fadia, freedom of speech, goers, google, internet government, jan 24, launch, malicious content, netizens, security expert, security personnel, security technologies, social content, social networks, technical users