Atlantis starts home journeyMay 23rd, 2010 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 23 (DPA) The US space shuttle Atlantis separated from the International Space Station (ISS) Sunday to prepare for its home journey on the shuttle’s last-ever mission before being retired.
The Shuttle with its crew of six astronauts eased away from the ISS at 1522 GMT for the return flight and its scheduled landing in Cape Canaveral, Florida Wednesday.
The shuttle had brought new Russian research equipment and a docking module to the ISS in the ongoing construction of the international station.
Astronauts carried out three spacewalks to exchange the electrical batteries of the ISS and to install a new antenna.
The Atlantis had blasted off from Cape Canaveral May 14 for its final mission after 25 years in service.
After the Atlantis mission, only two further missions involving the Endeavour and Discovery shuttles, are planned by the US space agency NASA before they are also taken out of service.
Atlantis however will not be mothballed until the final two shuttle flights are finished. NASA wants to keep it ready for emergency rescue missions.
- Atlantis docks for last time with International Space Station - Jul 11, 2011
- Atlantis astronauts, in high spirits, work overtime - May 18, 2010
- Shuttle Atlantis returns home for last time - May 26, 2010
- Shuttle Atlantis returns safely to end its last mission - May 26, 2010
- NASA delays shuttle Endeavour's launch - Apr 30, 2011
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour ends final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- Atlantis docks for last time at space station - May 16, 2010
- NASA's Space Shuttle Atlantis lifts off on final voyage - May 15, 2010
- Atlantis' landing ends final mission after 30 years of space shuttle era - Jul 21, 2011
- US shuttle Atlantis lifts off for final journey - May 15, 2010
- NASA final shuttle launch scheduled for July 8 - May 21, 2011
- Discovery shuttle launched - Apr 05, 2010
- Space shuttle Atlantis makes final landing - Jul 21, 2011
- Atlantis docks with space station one last time - Jul 10, 2011
Tags: antenna, astronauts, atlantis mission, cape canaveral florida, emergency rescue, endeavour, home journey, international space station, nasa, ongoing construction, rescue missions, return flight, russian research, shuttle flights, shuttles, space shuttle atlantis, space station iss, spacewalks, us space agency, us space shuttle