Atlantis launched on Hubble telescope repair missionMay 12th, 2009 - 1:42 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 12 (DPA) The space shuttle Atlantis blasted off from the Kennedy Space Centre in Cape Canaveral, Florida Monday on a mission to repair the ageing Hubble Space Telescope.
The fifth and last mission to repair Hubble launched at 2:01 p.m. (1801 GMT).
The seven-member Atlantis crew will undertake five spacewalks, adding two new instruments, repairing two others and replacing other hardware in frequently delicate operations.
Scientists say the upgrades, which US space agency NASA hopes will extend Hubble’s life span until at least 2014, will continue to provide clues about the origin and nature of the universe.
Since its launch in 1990, Hubble has helped scientists to place the age of the universe at 13.7 billion years, learn that black holes are at the centre of most galaxies, monitor planetary formation and discover that the universe is expanding at an ever-faster pace.
- Atlantis on last mission to repair Hubble telescope - May 11, 2009
- Astronauts installing new camera on Hubble - May 15, 2009
- Space shuttle Atlantis lands after Hubble repairs - May 25, 2009
- US astronauts conclude spacewalk after battle with tricky bolt - May 18, 2009
- Astronauts install new camera on Hubble - May 15, 2009
- NASA's Shuttle Atlantis Launches on a Final Mission to Hubble - May 12, 2009
- Astronauts install device on Hubble to study cosmic origins - May 17, 2009
- Astronauts release Hubble telescope back into orbit - May 19, 2009
- Minor tile damage to space shuttle Atlantis - May 13, 2009
- Astronauts finish Hubble repairs - May 19, 2009
- NASA unveils first images from revamped Hubble - Sep 10, 2009
- NASA for early Hubble mission - Apr 24, 2009
- Atlantis docks with space station one last time - Jul 10, 2011
- Atlantis docks for last time with International Space Station - Jul 11, 2011
- Revamped Hubble ready to tackle universe's big questions - May 21, 2009
Tags: age of the universe, ageing, atlantis crew, black holes, cape canaveral florida, delicate operations, galaxies, hubble space telescope, hubble telescope, kennedy space centre, launch, life span, nasa, nature of the universe, new instruments, planetary formation, scientists, space agency, space shuttle atlantis, spacewalks