Astrologers to astronomers: Oct 22 good day for moon mission launchOctober 18th, 2008 - 10:34 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, Oct 18 (IANS) There are astrologers among the astronomers in the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) too. They have declared that the day set for the country’s first moon mission, Oct 22, will be aupicious.Seven years ago, on Oct 22, 2001, ISRO had successfully launched a Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV C3) carrying three satellites - one of its own and two from overseas.
The Indian satellite was the 1,108 kg Technology Experiment Satellite and its co-passengers were Bird from Germany weighing 92 kg and the Belgian satellite Proba that weighed 94 kg.
That was the second time ISRO had launched three satellites in one flight. The earlier occasion was in 1999 when PSLV-C2 slung the 1,050-kg Indian Remote Sensing satellite IRS P4, DLR-Tubsat (45 kg) of Germany and South Korean satellite Kitsat weighing 110 kg.
ISRO officials have been making a replica of every rocket they fly and placing it at the feet of Lord Balaji at the Hindu holy city of Tirupati a day before every launch. Tirupati is close to the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh, the launch site.
India’s lunar mission Chandrayaan will be ISRO’s 27th launch and PSLV’s 14th flight.
- India to launch two foreign satellites mid Sept - Aug 22, 2012
- ISRO touches milestone in foreign payload launches - Jul 12, 2010
- Indian space agency scores a ton, ready for more (Third Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- India to ferry heaviest foreign satellite in August - Apr 29, 2012
- Indian rocket crosses half century of satellite launches - Oct 12, 2011
- ISRO's 100th mission a milestone: PM (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- PM congratulates ISRO - Sep 09, 2012
- Indian space agency scores a perfect 100! (Second Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- Manmohan watches as 100th Indian space mission blasts off (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- Risat-1 catapults India into a select group of nations (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Indian rocket hurls aloft four satellites - Oct 12, 2011
- ISRO to launch French satellite - Apr 03, 2012
- Countdown begins for India's 100th space mission - Sep 08, 2012
- Count down for 100th Indian rocket launch begins Friday morning - Sep 06, 2012
- Countdown begins for 100th Indian rocket mission - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: experiment satellite, indian remote sensing satellite, indian satellite, indian space research, indian space research organisation, korean satellite, launch vehicle, lord balaji, moon mission, polar satellite