Asteroids to fly by Earth Wednesday: NASASeptember 8th, 2010 - 10:50 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 8 (DPA) Two asteroids are to zip close by Earth within hours of each other Wednesday, the US space agency said.
The asteroids measuring several metres in diameter were discovered Sunday by a telescope in Arizona and will pass closer than the moon’s distance to Earth, NASA said. Though asteroid’s come within that distance of Earth regularly, it is rare for two to do so in such a short period of time.
The first asteroid known as 2010 RX30 measures 10 to 20 metres and will pass within 248,000 km of Earth at 0951 GMT. The second known as 2010 RF12, measuring some 6 to 14 metres, will come just 79,000 km from Earth at 2212 GMT.
The objects should be visible from moderate strength amateur telescopes, NASA said.
- Two asteroids to pass closely by Earth today - Sep 08, 2010
- Big space rock flies close to Earth, no harm done - Nov 09, 2011
- Asteroid 2010 RX30 misses Earth by a whisker - Sep 09, 2010
- Asteroids 2010 RF12 & 2010 RX30 Both Pass Relatively Close to Earth Today - Sep 09, 2010
- Asteroid may yield clues about Earth's formation - Oct 31, 2011
- Asteroid longer than aircraft to whiz past earth - Nov 05, 2011
- Giant asteroid to pass between earth, moon - Nov 08, 2011
- Asteroid 2005 yu55 to pass close to Earth today - Nov 08, 2011
- Small asteroid to fly past earth: NASA - Oct 12, 2010
- Huge asteroid hurtles past Earth - Jun 15, 2012
- Asteroid to have a near miss with Earth - Jan 27, 2012
- House-size asteroid passes close by Earth - Mar 18, 2011
- Asteroid hurtles past Earth - Apr 02, 2012
- Asteroid to whiz past earth - Mar 18, 2012
- China comes up with plan to save Earth from asteroid hit - Aug 19, 2011