Asteroid Could Hit Earth in 2182, Destroying All LifeJuly 28th, 2010 - 11:21 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
July 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Although it may sound like it came straight from the script of a movie, such as “Armageddon”, a huge asteroid which scientists have been watching since 1999 stands a very good chance (one in one thousand) of striking earth, and destroying all life on the planet, with the most likely date of impact being September 24, 2182.
The asteroid, which was named 1999 RQ36 is over 1800 feet wide, and will need to be dealt with at least a century before impact if there will be any chance of stopping it from crashing into the earth, scientists say.
Maria Eugenia Sansaturio from the Universidad de Valladolid in Spain co-authored the study, which was detailed in the science journal ‘Icarus’. The scientists used mathematical models to determine the risk of the asteroid hitting the Earth and when such an impact would happen. There were two potential opportunities for the impact to occur in 2182.
“The consequence of this complex dynamic is not just the likelihood of a comparatively large impact, but also that a realistic deflection procedure (path deviation) could only be made before the impact in 2080, and more easily, before 2060,” Sansaturio stated.
“If this object had been discovered after 2080, the deflection would require a technology that is not currently available,” Sansaturio added. “Therefore, this example suggests that impact monitoring, which up to date does not cover more than 80 or 100 years, may need to encompass more than one century.”
- 1.5 km wide asteroid on collision course with Earth in 50 years - Jul 30, 2010
- Scientific Studies Show That An Asteroid Could Hit Earth In 2182 - Jul 31, 2010
- Massive asteroid could hit Earth in 2182 - Jul 29, 2010
- Giant Asteroid May Hit Earth In 2182 - Jul 31, 2010
- Asteroid could hit the Earth in 2182 - Jul 28, 2010
- NASA Plans Probe On Earth Bound Asteroid - Aug 11, 2010
- NASA could land probe on asteroid hurtling towards Earth - Aug 10, 2010
- Earth may be hit by an asteroid in 160 years time - Feb 10, 2009
- NASA Contemplating On Sending A Probe Out To The Asteroid - Aug 11, 2010
- New force can propel asteroids onto earth's path - Jun 04, 2012
- NASA plans to visit asteroid predicted to hit Earth - Aug 07, 2010
- NASA proposes mission to snatch a piece from 'time capsule' asteroid - Mar 12, 2010
- Apophis asteroid not to strike Earth: Russian experts - Aug 30, 2012
- New asteroid could hit earth in 2040 - Feb 29, 2012
- China comes up with plan to save Earth from asteroid hit - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: 100 years, armageddon, asteroid hitting the earth, consequence, deflection, earth scientists, good chance, likelihood, maria eugenia sansaturio, mathematical models, risk, science journal, spain, striking earth, universidad de valladolid