Asteroid 2005 yu55 to pass close to Earth todayNovember 8th, 2011 - 11:10 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, Nov 8 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Scientists say an asteroid will pass very closely by earth on Tuesday (8th of November 2011) but it is not expected to collide with the planet. The planetary object which is named asteroid 2005 yu55 is being monitored closely by space scientists.
The 400-meter mass is traveling at a speed of 29,000 mph. With that speed, scientists expect the asteroid to come closest to the planet at about 23:28 GMT (6:28 p.m. EST) on Tuesday. It will be mere 324,600 km from earth. That means that object is going to get closer than the moon which is about 384,499 km from earth.
Researchers say the object will not hit the planet although it will be the first time that an object that size has come that close to earth since 1976.
NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory scientist Lance Benner assured that, “2005 YU55 cannot hit Earth, at least over the interval that we can compute the motion reliably, which extends for several hundred years.”
Scientists have been studying the rock since 2005 when it was discovered by University of Arizona’s Lunar and Planetary Laboratory astronomer Robert McMillan. The object made the first flyby of earth April 2010 but this is the closest that it will be coming to the planet.
- Big space rock flies close to Earth, no harm done - Nov 09, 2011
- Huge asteroid to fly close to earth on November - May 03, 2011
- Huge asteroid to fly close to earth on November 8th, 2011 - Apr 09, 2011
- Giant asteroid to pass between earth, moon - Nov 08, 2011
- Pictures of '2005 YU55' asteroid released by NASA - Nov 10, 2011
- Asteroid longer than aircraft to whiz past earth - Nov 05, 2011
- 'Potentially dangerous' asteroid spotted passing Earth on April 19 - Apr 30, 2010
- Asteroid bigger than aircraft carrier closing in - Nov 06, 2011
- Asteroid may yield clues about Earth's formation - Oct 31, 2011
- House-size asteroid passes close by Earth - Mar 18, 2011
- Car-size asteroid to pass close by Earth Wednesday - Feb 09, 2011
- Deep Impact Spacecraft to fly past Earth for the last time - Jun 26, 2010
- Apophis asteroid not to strike Earth: Russian experts - Aug 30, 2012
- Asteroid to have a near miss with Earth - Jan 27, 2012
- Asteroids 2010 RF12 & 2010 RX30 Both Pass Relatively Close to Earth Today - Sep 09, 2010