Apple working on smaller, cheaper iPhoneFebruary 14th, 2011 - 11:37 am ICT by IANS
New York, Feb 14 (IANS) After the unprecedented sales of its iPhone, Apple is working on a new line of cheaper iPhones which will half the size of the current iPhone 4, according to the Wall Street Journal.The Journal reported Sunday that Apple was undertaking an overhaul of software services for the devices to accelerate sales of its smart phones amid growing competition.
iPhones sales accounted for 39 percent of Apple’s total revenue of $26.7 billion for the latest quarter. These sales are estimated to go up by 7 to13 million units in the US as Verizon Wireless became a new carrier for iPhone last week.
With 16.2 million units shipped during the fourth quarter of last year, the Apple smart phone came last on the Top-5 list, tech research company IDC reported last month.
Quoting people who have seen a prototype of the smart phone, the Wall Street Journal said the new iPhone - code-named N97 - would be about half the size of the iPhone 4 and available to carriers at about half the price of the current unit.
This would allow carriers to subsidize its retail price, putting the iPhone in the same mass-market price range as rival smart phones, the Journal said, quoting people who saw the prototype.
Though apple currently sells iPhones to carriers for $625 each, consumers willing to accept a two-year contract get it for $199 from carriers.
Interestingly, Apple is revamping its popular MobileMe online storage service which lets users store data in a central location and synchronize their calendars and contacts among computers and other devices, the report said.
Currently, MobileMe comes with an annual subscription fee of $99, but Apple may give it free to serve as a ‘locker’ for personal memorabilia such as photos, music and videos, eliminating the need for devices to carry a lot of memory, the Journal said quoting it sources.
- Apple working on less expensive iPhones - Feb 14, 2011
- Apple 'crowned' global smart phone leader - Aug 06, 2011
- iPhone 4s to go on sale in China next week - Jan 06, 2012
- BlackBerry knocked out of Top-5 sellers by China' ZTE - Jan 29, 2011
- BlackBerry to sell tablet below $500 to undercut iPad sales - Nov 11, 2010
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- iPhone outsells BlackBerry globally - Oct 30, 2010
- Apple to launch smaller iPhone - Feb 11, 2011
- Apple, Google, RIM neck-and-neck in smart phone market - Mar 04, 2011
- iPhone 4S sales top 4 mn in first weekend: Apple - Oct 18, 2011
- Apple topples Nokia to become top smart phone seller - Jul 22, 2011
- Intel-powered smartphone, tablet to enter market in 2012 - Dec 22, 2011
- Despite record profits, Apple disappoints Wall Street - Oct 19, 2011
- Apple ousts Nokia as world's largest smartphone vendor - Jul 30, 2011
- Jobs turns loser Apple into a big winner - Oct 06, 2011
Tags: central location, cheaper iphone, current unit, feb 14, fourth quarter, iphone, iphone 4, iphones, mass market, mobileme, personal memorabilia, photos music, smart phone, smart phones, software services, storage service, subscription fee, unprecedented sales, verizon wireless, wall street journal