Apple unveils slimmer, lighter iPhone 5September 13th, 2012 - 1:51 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Sep 13 (IANS) Apple’s highly anticipated, next-generation iPhone is finally here. Sporting a larger 4-inch screen iPhone 5 is 18 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than its predecessor.
Said to be a bit more thumb-friendly, iPhone 5 with 16:9 aspect ratio was unveiled by Apple chief executive Timothy D. Cook Wednesday at the Yerba Buena Centre for the Arts in San Francisco.
“It’s an amazing time at Apple, an extraordinary time,” said Cook as he walked on stage, wearing a black button-down and blue jeans somewhat like Apple’s co-founder Steve Jobs who always wore his trademark black turtleneck and jeans.
Last quarter, Apple sold its 400 millionth iOS device. “Today, we’re taking it to the next level,” Cook said in a room brimming with journalists as Phil Schiller, Apple’s marketing chief, took the stage to expalin the new Iphone’s features.
The new machine has speedier innards, thanks to a new A6 chip designed by Apple. The chip is twice as fast in terms of CPU and graphics, he said. “Not only is it a jump forward in performance, it’s 22 percent smaller.”
The iPhone 5 has chips that support additional bands and frequencies and it’s capable of delivering up to 100 Mbps per second, Schiller said announcing the carrier partners for the new iPhone: AT&T;, Verizon, Sprint, Telefonica, among others.
The roomier screen of the iPhone 5, which has 40 percent more colour saturation, can be used by apps makers to provide most accurate display in the industry.
The iPhone’s width is just right for navigating with one’s thumb, Schiller said, to make it easy to send text messages, swipe through pages and browse the Web.
The additional vertical space on the iPhone 5 screen will let users add a fifth, additional row of apps on the home screen - more room for Web browsing and reading, he said.
Apple now has 380 stores in 12 countries. Some 83 million customers visited Apple stores in June, roughly 1 million per day, Cook said.
- Apple iPhone 5 is slimmer, lighter (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Apple unveils long-awaited tablet device - Jan 28, 2010
- iPhone 4S sales top 4 mn in first weekend: Apple - Oct 18, 2011
- Apple's app store crosses 15 billion downloads - Jul 08, 2011
- Apple to unveil new iPhone - Sep 28, 2011
- Intel-powered smartphone, tablet to enter market in 2012 - Dec 22, 2011
- iPhone 5 pre-orders top record 2 million in first 24 hours - Sep 18, 2012
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Apple releases preview of new Mac operating system - Feb 17, 2012
- Apple's new app: iBook, iPad goes one up on Amazon's Kindle - Jan 28, 2010
- Apple to reveal new iPhone Thursday - Oct 03, 2011
- Chinese downloads 25 billionth app - Mar 06, 2012
- Apple to unveil future of its operating systems - Mar 29, 2011
- Apple's market share growth pauses - Aug 15, 2012
- Apple's iPhone 4S sales top four mn in three days - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: 100 mbps, apple stores, aspect ratio, black turtleneck, blue jeans, carrier partners, co founder, colour saturation, innards, iphone, iphone 5, last quarter, millionth, new a6, phil schiller, steve jobs, swipe, text messages, vertical space, yerba buena