Apple iPhone named coolest gadget of the yearNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:56 am ICT by admin
“It’s the coolest gadget of the year by a country mile,” the Scotsman quoted the judges from the technology magazine Stuff, who compiled the top ten must-have list, as saying.
According to them, the gesture-sensitive touch screen of this phone is a big step forward in technology.
“It remains the most impressive piece of technology we’ve seen this decade - it really must be seen to be believed,” they said.
Tom Dunsmore, the magazine’s editor-in-chief, has revealed that the gadgets have been chosen on the basis of their “stand-out” quality rather than sales success, functionality or value for money.
“Gadgets are getting more stylish and more desirable every year. This year’s list is packed with must-have Christmas gifts so beautifully designed and such a joy to use that they’ll appeal to technophobes as well as gadget- lovers,” he said.
The Leica M8 camera was second on the list, and was described by the judging panel as “a 20th-century classic with a 21st-century makeover”.
IPod-style gadget Tonium Pacemaker, which enables DJs to mix music without turntables, was named the third coolest gadget, and tiny Sony Vaio UX1 PC came in fourth.
Wrapping up the top five was the smash-hit Nintendo Wii games console, which allows realistic games of sports like tennis to be played out on screen.
Nick Clayton, the Scotsman Magazine technology writer, said the iPhone deserved to top the list as it was revolutionary, while the others were mostly developments of previous technology.
“They also share the expense factor - these aren’t really gadgets for the masses, with the exception of the iPod Nano and the Wii. But one thing they all have in common is that they are relatively easy to use and would look good in your living room,” he said.
“And a large proportion of them would be as popular with women as with men, which is an increasing trend,” he added.
Clayton proclaimed the iPod Nano “a classic example” where the market was at least as big with women as with men.
“Similarly, with the Wii, a lot of games are equally suitable for men and women,” he said.
He also revealed that his favourite among the gadgets selected was the Wii as “it’s re- latively cheap, it looks nice, and does what it does very well”.
Stuff magazine’s top ten must-have gadgets list:
1. Apple iPhone
2. Leica M8 camera
3. Tonium Pacemaker
4. Tiny Sony Vaio UX1 PC
5. The smash-hit Nintendo Wii games console
6. Sony Ericcson W880 phone
7. Shanling MC-30 Amp Valve
8. Wattson energy calculator
9. Sony Ericsson MBW Bluetooth watch
10. iPod Nano MP3 player (ANI)
- iPod tops kids' Christmas wish list - Nov 28, 2010
- The new iPod touch: practically a smartphone - Sep 19, 2010
- Walmart Black Friday 2010 Ads Make Shop-a-holics Crazy - Nov 16, 2010
- IPhone is Britain's coolest brand - Sep 28, 2009
- Mobile phone remote that can be worn on the wrist - Oct 03, 2010
- Apple redesigns iPod touch, updates iPod nano - Sep 13, 2012
- iPhones, iPads in kids' Christmas wish list - Oct 25, 2010
- Nintendo Wii Black named Must-Have Christmas Gift - Dec 08, 2009
- Kids want to ditch train sets and dolls for iPhones this Christmas - Oct 25, 2010
- Nintendo Wii the gadget that makes people ''most happy'' - Feb 27, 2009
- What do your smartphones and laptops say about you? - Nov 19, 2010
- Apple will find it hard to replace Steeve 'Cool' Jobs (Comment) - Aug 26, 2011
- Sonam Kapoor named brand ambassador of year - Mar 22, 2011
- Apple to reveal new iPhone Thursday - Oct 03, 2011
- Apple's new iWatch can be worn on wrist - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: apple iphone, country mile, gadget lovers, gadgets, games console, impressive piece, ipod nano, leica m8, magazine stuff, mix music, nick, nintendo wii games, pacemaker, realistic games, revolutionary, sales success, scotsman magazine, sensitive touch screen, smash hit, technology writer