Apple, Google, RIM neck-and-neck in smart phone marketMarch 4th, 2011 - 12:37 pm ICT by IANS
New York, March 4 (IANS) Apple, Google, Research In Motion (RIM) are neck and neck in the cut-throat smart phone market in the US, according to a Nielsen survey Thursday.
While Apple and Google have their own individual operating systems to run their respective smart phones, Google’s Android operating system (OS) supports the rest of the competition.
“When it comes to consumer market share by operating system, Android (29 percent ) appears to be pulling ahead of RIM Blackberry (27 percent) and Apple iOS (27 percent),” Nielsen said in its survey.
But the analysis shows “RIM and Apple to be the winners compared to other device makers since they are the only ones creating and selling smart phones with their respective operating systems.”
According to the survey, HTC follows with 12 percent of consumer smartphone owners having an HTC Android device and 7 percent owning an HTC device running a Microsoft OS.
Only 10 percent of consumer smart phone owners had a Motorola Android device and one percent owned a Motorola device running a Microsoft OS, the survey said.
Android is reportedly gaining at the cost of Nokia’s Symbian operating system which runs about 10 per cent of the smart phones.
Since its Symbian operating system has failed to compete with Android and the iPhone OS, Nokia has entered into a tie-up with Microsoft to use its Windows Phone 7 in its smart phones.
The Windows operating system may help Nokia ward off threats to its fast-eroding number one position in the global smart phone market.
According to a report released by tech research company IDC in January, Nokia remained the No. 1 mobile phone seller in the last quarter, shipping 123.7 million units even though its sales declined 2.4 percent since last year.
(Gurmukh Singh can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Google Android smart phones top as Nokia, BlackBerry sink - Jun 01, 2011
- BlackBerry stock slips on India report - Feb 01, 2011
- Android phones more desired in US than iPhone or BlackBerry: Report - Apr 27, 2011
- Android sweeps Apple, BlackBerry in US smart phone market - Nov 02, 2010
- Microsoft reaches patent deal with LG - Jan 13, 2012
- Facebook is partnering with HTC for a Smartphone - Nov 22, 2011
- BlackBerry continues to bleed - Jun 21, 2011
- Apple mulls settling patent fights with Samsung - Mar 30, 2012
- Apple, Intel join Google in bidding for Nortel patents - Jun 28, 2011
- Google, RIM are now no match for Apple: Analysts - Oct 21, 2010
- RIM unveils five new BlackBerries - Aug 03, 2011
- Seven new BlackBerries to be unveiled soon - Jul 13, 2011
- Apple's new iPad today to kick off tablet war - Mar 02, 2011
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- Apple pushes BlackBerry to third spot in smartphone market - Jul 06, 2011
Tags: android, consumer market share, cut throat, google, google research, htc, iphone, last quarter, microsoft os, mobile phone seller, nielsen survey, operating systems, research in motion, rim blackberry, smart phone, smart phones, symbian, system os, windows operating system, windows phone