Apple applies for iPad Smart Cover patentAugust 3rd, 2012 - 3:53 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Aug 3 (IANS) Apple has applied for a patent on iPad Smart Cover with an embedded secondary display designed to enhance the functionality of the tablet computer.
“Thin flexible display technology can be integrated into the cover without affecting the overall form factor of the cover or tablet device,” Apple said in a patent application.
“Adding the integrated display to the flexible cover greatly enhances the overall functionality of the tablet device,” Xinhua Thursday quoted the document as saying.
The embedded display could be used to show extra icons, operate as a separate media control interface, the document released by the US patent office said.
A battery could be incorporated within the cover to cut down recharging, and the battery could take many forms like solar panels and radio frequency energy collection antennas.
Resembling Microsoft’s new Surface tablet cover that has a keyboard, parts of Apple’s flexible flap in the future may include a keyboard or serve as a separate touch pad.
This would bring the tablet experience closer to a conventional laptop computer.
Analysts noted that patents like smart cover can offer a glimpse into Apple’s fancy ideas for its future products, although they don’t always lead to a final product.
- World's leading electronics fair opens in Berlin - Sep 04, 2011
- Apple awarded $1 bn in patent fight with Samsung - Aug 25, 2012
- iPad Case From Padacs That Converts It Into Netbook - Aug 29, 2010
- Samsung unveils Galaxy to challenge Apple's iPad - Sep 03, 2010
- Samsung has not infringed Apple's key patent: Tokyo court - Aug 31, 2012
- New iPad tops tablet ratings - Apr 03, 2012
- Apple mulls settling patent fights with Samsung - Mar 30, 2012
- Apple working on universal touchscreen remote - Jan 27, 2012
- RIM launches upgraded PlayBook operating system in India - Feb 24, 2012
- Stanley Kubrick made the first iPad, claims Samsung - Aug 24, 2011
- Apple Takes iPhones To A Whole New Level - Jun 07, 2010
- Amazon introduces new Kindle e-reader, HD tablet - Sep 07, 2012
- BlackBerry unveils PlayBook tablet to take on iPad - Sep 28, 2010
- BlackBerry denies reports on PlayBook battery life - Dec 31, 2010
- Apple's new iPad brings 4G, better camera, more pixels - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: antennas, apple, computer analysts, display technology, fancy ideas, flap, functionality, future products, glimpse, keyboard, laptop computer, media control interface, patent application, patents, radio frequency energy, solar panels, tablet computer, touch pad, us patent office, xinhua