Airtel, Vodafone added 2.45 mn subscribers each in MayJune 20th, 2011 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 20 (IANS) Telecom giants Bharti Airtel and Vodafone added 2.45 million subscribers each in May, industry data showed. The month saw a net addition of 9.53 million GSM subscribers in the country.
The total number of GSM subscribers in India crossed 590.2 million in May as against 580.67 million in April, according to the data released by the Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI).
Bharti Airtel now has a market share of 28.31 percent, with 167 million subscribers. Vodafone follows with a 23.62 percent market share, at a total subscriber base of 139.43 million.
Idea Cellular added 1.8 million subscribers in May to take its total subscriber base to 93.75 million.
State-run telecom operators Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) added 471,243 and 20,604 customers respectively, taking their total user base to 87.62 million and 5.23 million.
Uninor added 1.14 million users for a total of 25.39 million subscribers.
According to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, there are 826.93 cellular subscribers in India, inclusive of CDMA subscribers.
- India adds 8.58 million GSM subscribers in June - Jul 18, 2011
- India added 11.11 mn GSM subscribers in April - May 20, 2011
- India adds 6.87 mn GSM subscribers in March - Apr 20, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 840 mn - Jul 07, 2011
- India adds 8.44 mn GSM subscribers in January - Feb 24, 2012
- Uninor on top as India's GSM base grows 1.15 percent - Nov 21, 2011
- India's GSM subscriber base grows by 2.89 percent - Sep 15, 2010
- GSM phone subscribers grow 3.25 percent in December - Jan 19, 2011
- 1.7 mn GSM subscribers in India, Uninor loses 1.1 mn - Aug 16, 2012
- India adds 1.7 mn GSM subscribers, Uninor loses 1.1 mn (Lead, Correcting headline) - Aug 16, 2012
- India adds 14.5 million GSM subscribers in March - Apr 15, 2011
- India adds 14.7 million GSM subscribers in February - Mar 17, 2011
- Declining mobile subscriptions show uncertainty in telecom industry: COAI - Sep 09, 2012
- Tata Teleservices loses 4.4 mn subscribers in November - Jan 09, 2012
- India adds 5.34 mn GSM subscribers in August - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: bharti airtel, bsnl, cellular operators, cellular subscribers, coai, gsm subscribers, idea cellular, mahanagar telephone nigam, mahanagar telephone nigam ltd, market share, million subscribers, mtnl, operators association, sanchar nigam ltd, subscriber base, telecom giants, telecom operators, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, vodafone