Airtel unveils 4G service in BangaloreMay 7th, 2012 - 9:20 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 7 (IANS) Telecom major Bharti Airtel Limited Monday launched its 4G service in this tech hub, offering high-speed wireless broadband service to access high-definition video streaming, rapid photo and video downloads.
“We are the first service operator to offer the advanced 4G (fourth generation) technology in Karnataka for high-speed internet access to a range of data services such as video streaming, multiple chatting, instant uploading of photos, etc.,” Bharti Chief Executive Sanjay Kapoor told reporters at a preview of the high-tech product and its services.
Long-Term Evolution (LTE) of radio access technology is the latest 4G standard in mobile networking technology, which provides data downlinkspeeds up to 40 mbps (mega bytes per second) and upload speeds up to 20mbps and high speed mobility support.
“The service also offers access to rich content and multi-media applications such as e-learning, multiple downloads of heavy files, seamless high definition (HD) online streaming and gaming and business applications requiring higher speeds and last mile connectivity,” Kapoor said.
The company acquired Broadband Wireless Access (BWA) license spectrum through the auction route in 2010 for an unspecified amount to provide the 4G service in Kolkata, Karnataka, Punjab and Maharashtra (excluding Mumbai)circles.
The company launched 4G service in Kolkata April 10 and plans to roll it out across major cities in Karnataka during this year and in other remaining circles.
“Data usage is exploding the world over and doubling each year to grow to around 3.6 hexabytes by 2014. With the launch of 4G, India will move from being a follower of technology to matching the world in this domain,” Kapoor observed on the occasion.
Unveiling the service, Karnataka Chief Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda said the state government would explore the prospects of using Airtel 4G to deliver citizen services.
- Huawei to manage Bharti Airtel's 4G network in Karnataka - May 01, 2012
- Bharti Airtel launches 4G services in Bangalore - May 07, 2012
- Airtel launches 4G services in Kolkata, first in India - Apr 10, 2012
- Bharti Airtel buys 49 percent of Qualcomm's India business - May 24, 2012
- Sibal launches 4G, admits 3G has 'not successful' (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Airtel bets on World Cup, IPL to flag 3G service - Jan 26, 2011
- Sibal to launch Bharti Airtel's 4G services Tuesday - Apr 09, 2012
- Qualcomm to get BWA spectrum shortly: DoT - Apr 19, 2012
- Bharti Airtel to launch 4G services in Kolkata - Apr 03, 2012
- 4G service to speed up British mobile internet by 16 times - Mar 23, 2011
- Indian telecom firms gearing up for 3G telephony - Jan 24, 2011
- Bharti Airtel launches 3.75G in Zambia - Jan 17, 2012
- Bharti Airtel launches 3G services in Karnataka - Jan 24, 2011
- 3G-auction closes after ensuring over Rs 70,000 crore revenue to Centre - May 19, 2010
- Bharti Airtel signs network expansion deal with Huawei - Jun 01, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,