Airtel launches online payment system in AfricaSeptember 15th, 2011 - 12:26 am ICT by IANS
Kenya/New Delhi, Sep 14 (IANS) Bharti Airtel Wednesday said that its African-arm has launched an online payment system — PayOnline that will allow its mobile subscribers to use handsets to make purchase online along with Standard Chartered Bank and MasterCard Worldwide.
“While initially launched in Kenya, this product will soon be available across Africa,” the company said in a statement.
PayOnline will allow registered airtel consumers to make online purchases from any site where MasterCard is accepted. The customers will be able to request a one-time virtual card number with the amount of purchase.
Airtel money services platform will generate a special 16 digit number that enables the completion of the transaction. On completion of the transaction, a confirmation message will be sent to the consumer’s handset.
“The sustained socio-economic changes witnessed in Africa over the last decade have shown that the continent has the ability to leapfrog conventional systems and embrace innovations on platforms such as the mobile phone,” said N. Arjun, chief projects and transformation officer, Airtel Africa.
The global opportunity for mobile payments is growing. According IE Market Research Corporation the global mobile purchases will reach $224.4 billion by 2014.
The PayOnline solution is compatible with all mobile phones and operating systems via a configured update from Airtel customer service.
- MasterCard, C-SAM to jointly offer mobile wallet service - May 18, 2012
- Google to turn your smartphones into credit cards! - Mar 30, 2011
- Airtel ropes in Infosys for mobile wallet service - Feb 27, 2012
- 141 mn people to use mobiles for payments: Gartner - Jul 21, 2011
- iPhone swipe enough to pay for your shopping - Jan 27, 2011
- US cellphone carriers check out mobile payments - Aug 03, 2010
- Soon, you could 'swipe' your iPhone instead of a credit card! - Jan 27, 2011
- Now, a credit card that 'talks' to you! - Mar 11, 2011
- Digital wallets will subsume paper money in 30 years: Sam Pitroda (Interview) - Sep 11, 2010
- Reliance Capital arm launches mobile-based payment system - Aug 09, 2012
- Airtel, Axis Bank join hands for mobile banking - May 16, 2012
- Now, book and pay for Air India tickets from your mobile - Mar 20, 2012
- Bharti Airtel granted license for mobile payment service - Sep 15, 2010
- US Justice Department Sues American Express For Anti-Competitive Practices - Oct 05, 2010
- Bharti Airtel forays into mobile advertising segment - May 27, 2012
Tags: africa kenya, arjun, bharti airtel, chief projects, confirmation message, continent, conventional systems, digit number, economic changes, global opportunity, handset, last decade, market research, mobile payments, mobile subscribers, money services, New Delhi, payonline, standard chartered bank, virtual card