Agartala to be northeast’s first ’solar city’June 4th, 2010 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, June 4 (IANS) The Tripura government Friday announced ambitious plans to make its capital Agartala a ’solar city’ replacing at least 10 percent of conventional energy use by solar energy.
“Agartala city would be the first ’solar city’ in northeast India within the next few years,” state Science, Technology and Environment Minister Joy Gobinda Debroy told reporters.
“A Rs.20 crore project has been undertaken to make Agartala a ’solar city’. The union ministry of new and renewable energy (MNRE) would bear 90 percent of the cost and remaining would be given by the Tripura government,” he said.
As part of the scheme, solar hot water system would be installed in all the hotels, nursing homes, the government circuit houses and bungalows, hospitals and health centres, tourist lodges, temples and the governor’s residence.
According to the minister, the Agartala solar city project is part of the MNRE’s plan to turn India’s 60 cities into solar cities.
“The Tripura Renewable Energy Development Authority (TREDA) and urban development department in association with the MNRE would implement the scheme,” Debroy added.
The city’s street lights and other lights in public places would also be operated on solar energy.
The minister said that 693 hamlets and 46 villages in remote areas in the northeastern state have already been provided solar energy, benefiting more than 32,000 families, mostly tribals.
“Solar energy would also be provided 251 more remote villages in the state under the remote village electrification (RVE) scheme during the current financial year,” the minister said.
The TREDA would also provide 20,000 solar lanterns among the poor people residing in the urban areas in Tripura.
- Agartala to be Northeast India's first solar city - Sep 12, 2012
- Tripura powering green with solar energy - Jun 08, 2010
- Rashtrapati Bhavan inspires Agartala to be energy efficient - Sep 24, 2010
- Solar energy tapping to be mandatory in Agartala - Mar 29, 2010
- Himachal to give solar lamps at remote villages - Aug 03, 2012
- Farooq Abdullah reviews renewable energy projects in J-K - May 13, 2010
- Solar power for 27 Jammu and Kashmir villages - Sep 25, 2009
- Solar and wind energy to light up remote Kashmir areas - Dec 26, 2011
- Scientists to harness solar energy in space - May 17, 2012
- Solar lighting for police stations in Kashmir - Feb 02, 2012
- Jharkhand plans to give rural families power-saver CFLs - Jul 25, 2011
- He dispels darkness through solar lamps (With photo) - Aug 20, 2012
- India unveils ambitious solar power mission (Lead, With Images) - Nov 23, 2009
- Founder of northeast India's first archive dead - Apr 07, 2011
- Delhi climate change exhibition showcases solar appliances and projects - Feb 05, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,