Advanced sounding rocket launched with students’ payloadJuly 7th, 2010 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, July 7 (IANS) The advanced sounding rocket RH 200 was successfully launched Wednesday from the space station at Thumba, here, carrying a payload partly developed by students, officials said.
The Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station (TERLS) is part of the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) here which is a unit of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
According to a VSSC statement, the rocket was successfully launched at 3.50 p.m. and achieved its intended altitude of 60 km in two minutes.
“ISRO has always encouraged students from universities to become partners for payload development. Towards this, students from Vellore Institute of Technology University (VITU), were being guided by VSSC to develop a part of the payload as a co-passenger on the RH 200 technology demonstrator flight,” the statement said.
The students’ payload comprised of tri-axial accelerometers, power switching module and safe arm relay unit matching the requirements of RH 200 rocket.
The tri-axial accelerometer can monitor accelerations in three directions. The power-switching module is for the power control of the payload.
Students of the Indian Institute of Space Technology (IIST) are also making good progress in their attempt to make the first indigenous ’students’ rocket’ with the support of experts from VSSC.
So far, TERLS has recorded 2,291 flights of sounding rockets and this is the 395th flight of an RH 200 rocket.
- ISRO to launch rockets to study Friday's solar eclipse - Jan 13, 2010
- India: From ferrying rockets on cycles to eyeing Mars - Sep 08, 2012
- ISRO to launch rockets to study solar eclipse - Jan 13, 2010
- India launching rockets to study solar eclipse effects - Jan 15, 2010
- Indian rockets study solar eclipse, effect on atmosphere (Lead) - Jan 15, 2010
- India to launch three satellites next month - Aug 03, 2012
- India to ferry heaviest foreign satellite in August - Apr 29, 2012
- Mixed bag for Indian space agency in 2010 - Dec 30, 2010
- India to launch five satellites by June - Apr 17, 2011
- Flight analysis of failed rocket mission begins - Apr 17, 2010
- A year of satisfactory space missions (2011 in Retrospect) (With images) - Dec 26, 2011
- ISRO plans more satellite launches this year - Apr 20, 2011
- Indian rocket launch countdown makes smooth progress - Oct 11, 2011
- Weak Russian component downed Indian rocket: Ex-ISRO chief - Apr 22, 2011
- Countdown begins for India's 100th space mission - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: accelerations, accelerometer, accelerometers, iist, indian institute of space technology, indian space research, indian space research organisation, indigenous students, rh, sounding rocket, sounding rockets, space station, technology demonstrator, technology university, thiruvananthapuram, thumba equatorial rocket launching station, vellore institute of technology, vikram sarabhai space centre, vitu, vssc