Additional $1.3 billion for defence communication networkMay 9th, 2012 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 9 (IANS) A proposal is being processed for a Rs.5,236 crore ($1.3 billion) exclusive pan-India optical fibre cable (OFC) for the defence forces to enable them to vacate the radio waves they currently occupy, parliament was informed Wednesday.
The allocation is in addition to the Rs.8,098 crore ($1.8 billion) that was approved for the defence forces’ communication netwok in 2009, Defence Minister A.K. Antony said in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.
The communications and information technology is processing the proposal for the OFC network to be laid over 60,000 km to provide connectivity for 129 army, 162 air force and 33 navy stations.
“The alternative network will be implemented to facilitate vacation of spectrum by the defence services,” Antony added.
- Over Rs.5,000 crore more approved for defence network - Jul 03, 2012
- Information ministry to vacate 700 MHz spectrum: Sibal - Mar 05, 2012
- Antony dedicates Air Force Network to the nation - Sep 14, 2010
- Nod for $4.5-bn military acquisitions (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Antony warns of emerging threats from China, AfPak - Apr 24, 2012
- Nod for $1.9-bn defence procurement proposals (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Dedicated navy, air force satellites by 2014 - Apr 30, 2012
- Telecom links in all Indian villages by 2014: BSNL - Mar 25, 2012
- Panel formed to implement national optic fibre network - Jun 26, 2012
- Defence ministry agrees to vacate spectrum - Jul 03, 2009
- ICT potential in universities to be enhanced - Nov 01, 2011
- India's defence varsity by 2017 - May 21, 2012
- Rs.200 bn plan to connect all panchayats: Pilot - Jan 19, 2012
- Nod for $1.8 bn defence procurement proposals - Jun 22, 2012
- India spent $7 bn on army procurements since 2007 - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: air force, alternative network, antony, army, cable ofc, communication network, defence forces, defence minister, defence services, information technology, navy, New Delhi, optical fibre cable, parliament, proposal, radio waves, rajya sabha, reply, rs 8, spectrum