Acer unveils dual-screen laptopNovember 25th, 2010 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 25 (IANS) Acer has launched the Iconia, a laptop-cum-tablet computer with two touch screens. The new dual-screen laptop has two 14 inch displays, including one in place of a traditional keyboard.
The Iconia, which was unveiled at a press conference in New York, features two touch-screens protected by ultra-tough Gorilla Glass.
The device can be used like a traditional laptop, with the second screen doubling up as a virtual keyboard, or can serve as a tablet-style computer, reports the Telegraph.
A tablet computer is a portable computer equipped with a touchscreen as a primary input device.
Users can spread the desktop across both screens, or use one to watch a video or surf the web, and the other to write an email or edit photos.
The device features palm sensors to detect the position of the user’s hands, and automatically launch the virtual keyboard when needed.
Acer said the Iconia, which runs Microsoft’s Windows 7 operating system, would introduce “a brand new tablet experience”.
“This level of commitment to touch technology is something no other PC vendor can compete with,” said Jim Wong, president of Acer.
The Iconia, which goes on sale in Britain Jan 8, will cost 1,499 pounds. The device uses Intel Core i5 processors, and a minimum of 4GB memory and up to 750GB hard drive.
The success of Apple’s iPad has prompted scores of consumer electronics manufacturers to launch their own rival devices.
Samsung’s Galaxy Tab, which runs Google’s Android operating system, is considered one of the closest competitors to the iPad.
- Apple's iPad has 10-hour battery life, costs $499 - Jan 28, 2010
- 2011 to be the year of the tablet - Nov 22, 2010
- Apple has sold 2m iPads in 60 days - Jun 01, 2010
- Apple applies for iPad Smart Cover patent - Aug 03, 2012
- HP Slate: Good For Corporate Users, But This Is No iPad Killer! - Oct 23, 2010
- iPad finally goes on sale - Apr 03, 2010
- HP Unveils TouchPad To Take On Rival Tablets - Feb 10, 2011
- Samsung's launches iPad rival Tab - Sep 17, 2010
- New iPad tops tablet ratings - Apr 03, 2012
- Apple says over 300,000 iPads sold on debut - Apr 06, 2010
- Applications key as tablets flood Indian market - Aug 25, 2011
- Apple blamed for delayed launch of BlackBerry tablet - Apr 08, 2011
- HP Slate 500: Can It Challenge The iPad? - Oct 22, 2010
- `iPad is it!' New device wows many, bores some - Jan 28, 2010
- Apple's iCloud launched for developers - Aug 02, 2011
Tags: android, consumer electronics manufacturers, device features, device users, dual screen, google, gorilla, inch displays, input device, ipad, jim wong, pc vendor, portable computer, style computer, tablet computer, tablet style, touch screens, touchscreen, traditional keyboard, virtual keyboard