A cool way to rid your body of flabby bitsSeptember 20th, 2010 - 1:02 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 20 (IANS) Scientists have developed a device that freezes body flab to remove love handles and beer bellies.
Known as CoolSculpting device, it is being promoted as a painless alternative to liposuction, features a gel patch that clamps on to flabby parts and freezes fat cells.
The sub-zero temperatures kills the fat cells, which are re-absorbed and flushed away by the body over the next few months, leaving the patient trimmer.
It was designed by scientists at Zeltiq in California. They realised that although fat freezes at a lower temperature than other types of tissue, skin and muscles can survive sub-zero temperatures without suffering lasting damage.
Last week, the treatment was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration, reports the Daily Mail.
The first 80,000 pounds ‘CoolSculpting’ device has arrived in Britain and is already being offered to patients at a London clinic.
Liposuction - where fat is sucked from the body - is big business for cosmetic surgeons and has overtaken breast enlargement as the most popular type of plastic surgery.
The new treatment costs around 800 pounds - about a quarter of the price of liposuction - and takes between one and three hours. The treatment, which is non-invasive, can be carried out in a patient’s lunch break.
Mitchell Levinson, Zeltiq’s founder, said patients have been monitored for three years without the fat returning.
A single treatment is usually enough for each love handle. A larger beer belly or a set of flaps of fat under the arms may need two treatments.
The device’s creators say it is designed for those in need of a little fat removal and is not suitable for treating obesity.
A spokesman for the company said patients feel a sensation of intense cold, but this “soon dissipates”.
Debbie Scott, 60, an American living in London who went to Paris to have the treatment, said: “It’s uncomfortable but not painful. For the next couple of days you touch the area and it’s numb but after a month the bulge had shrunk.”
- Hottest new fad chills to kill fat - Aug 02, 2010
- Non-surgical fat reduction methods get FDA's thumbs up - Sep 16, 2010
- Zeltiq: To Overcome The Burden Of Overwieght - Jun 16, 2010
- New medical treatment freezes away extra body fat - Feb 10, 2011
- Amritsar shivers at minus 2.1 degrees - Dec 30, 2011
- Kashmir Valley continues to be in deep freeze - Jan 28, 2012
- Beer doesn't cause of your 'beer belly' - Apr 05, 2012
- Icy winds sweep Himachal towns - Dec 26, 2011
- Sub-zero Rohtak, freezing Amritsar suffer winter blues - Dec 24, 2011
- Major snowfall in Srinagar in coming days - Jan 12, 2012
- Bitter cold forces review of Kashmir winter school - Dec 25, 2010
- Srinagar has coldest night in 16 years - Jan 14, 2012
- Scottish men ready to go under the knife to gain edge at work - Nov 07, 2010
- Aleksander Andrzej saved from freezing because of the huge amount of alcohol in his blood - Feb 01, 2011
- Temperatures rise in Jammu and Kashmir, but cold stays - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: beer bellies, beer belly, breast enlargement, clamps, cosmetic surgeons, couple of days, daily mail, debbie scott, fat cells, flab, food and drug administration, levinson, liposuction, living in london, london clinic, love handles, lunch break, plastic surgery, us food and drug administration, zero temperatures