70 percent of hepatitis C cases curable with early treatmentApril 27th, 2009 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, April 27 (IANS) Up to 70 percent of hepatitis C cases are curable if early treatment is sought, according to a new international study.
The study by National Centre for HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research (NCHECR) also found that a standard combination drug treatment was as effective as a stronger regimen of therapy associated with serious side-effects.
Advocacy group Hepatitis Australia estimates that more than 300,000 people in the country alone are infected with chronic hepatitis C, yet fewer than two percent receive treatment.
Most common routes of infection include contact with infected needles and sexual transmission.
The findings were part of a trial involving 702 patients from Australia, and 194 from New Zealand, Canada, Thailand, Argentina and Mexico. All had hepatitis C genotype 1 - the most difficult to treat.
Study co-author Greg Dore, professor at NCHECR, said early treatment was vital to prevent the onset of serious liver conditions. Hepatitis C is the principal reason for liver transplants in Australia, said an NCHECR release.
The study was a collaboration between NCHECR, drug company Roche and the Australian Liver Association.
These findings are slated for publication in Hepatology.
- Coffee can cure hepatitis C - Jun 08, 2011
- New therapy could help beat Hepatitis C virus - Jan 17, 2012
- Integrate Hepatitis C testing with HIV: NGOs - Oct 21, 2011
- New approach could reverse liver failure - Aug 06, 2012
- Drug cocktail shows promise against hepatitis C - Mar 31, 2011
- Wrong treatment leads to Hepatitis C cases in China - Mar 03, 2012
- New find may offer protection against hepatitis C treatment-related anemia - Jan 26, 2011
- Healing damaged liver tissues - Dec 05, 2011
- Agartala kicks off mission to become Hepatitis free - Apr 15, 2012
- Hepatitis could kill 5 mn in Southeast Asia: WHO - Jul 24, 2012
- 'Pregnant women more vulnerable to Hepatitis E-induced liver failure' (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 26, 2012
- Fancy a tattoo? Beware of hepatitis virus (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 28, 2011
- Beware! You may be more vulnerable to hepatitis than you think (July 28 is World Hepatitis Day) - Jul 27, 2012
- Clinical trial offers hope for Hepatitis C patients - Mar 15, 2011
- New anti-viral drug 'doubles hepatitis C treatment's effectiveness' - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,