4G will happen in India with rest of world: AirtelAugust 30th, 2011 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 30 (IANS) Telecom major Bharti Airtel Tuesday said that the fourth generation (4G) technology for mobile communications could be launched in India alongside other countries.
“Launch of 4G services in India will be almost aligned with the rest of the world,” said Sanjay Kapoor, chief executive officer, India and South Asia, Bharti Airtel, at a Qualcomm event here.
However, he did not indicate when it would happen.
4G is a successor to the 3G and 2G families and is expected to be five times quicker than the 3G services in the country.
India last year auctioned spectrum for enabling 3G licenses. However, the demand for such services is still to fully take off.
Kapoor cited low penetration of 3G device to be a major factor for the slow start to 3G services.
“The penetration of devices in the market is still a question, besides the language of the content used in the country is not very conducive,” added Kapoor.
India has over 850 million subscribers, of whom Airtel has over 170 million.
- Huawei to manage Bharti Airtel's 4G network in Karnataka - May 01, 2012
- Bharti Airtel to launch 4G services in Kolkata - Apr 03, 2012
- Bharti Airtel launches 4G services in Bangalore - May 07, 2012
- Sibal to launch Bharti Airtel's 4G services Tuesday - Apr 09, 2012
- Bharti Airtel buys 49 percent of Qualcomm's India business - May 24, 2012
- Airtel launches 4G services in Kolkata, first in India - Apr 10, 2012
- Sibal launches 4G, admits 3G has 'not successful' (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Don't artificially control spectrum availability: Airtel - Apr 10, 2012
- India adds 1.7 mn GSM subscribers, Uninor loses 1.1 mn (Lead, Correcting headline) - Aug 16, 2012
- Airtel unveils 4G service in Bangalore - May 07, 2012
- 4G, 3G to grow parallelly in India: Ericsson - Sep 01, 2011
- Bharti Airtel gets license for 2G, 3G services in Rwanda - Sep 08, 2011
- Salient features of Indian telecom sector - Feb 02, 2012
- Bharti Airtel Q2 net profit declines 38 percent - Nov 04, 2011
- Airtel to ring iPhone4's tune in September - Jul 19, 2010
Tags: 2g, 3g licenses, 3g services, bharti airtel, chief executive officer, country india, india and south asia, million subscribers, mobile communications, New Delhi, penetration, qualcomm, rest of the world, sanjay kapoor, spectrum, telecom