4 Indians among MIT’s top 35 innovatorsAugust 25th, 2011 - 10:29 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 25 (IANS) Two Indians and two persons of Indian origin figure among Top 35 Innovators under 35 in the latest list of Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) Technology Review, the world’s oldest Technology Magazine established in 1899.
Ajit Narayanan, Invention Labs, Chennai and Aishwarya Ratan, Yale University, who were part of TR35 India Winners announced in March 2011, have made it to the annual list of people who exemplify the spirit of innovation in business and technology.
The honourees are blazing new paths in a wide range of fields, including medicine, energy, communications, IT, consumer technology, entertainment, and robotics, Cambridge, Massachusetts, based institution announced Wednesday.
Chennai-based Ajit Narayanan, 30, was selected for his work on affordable speech synthesizers He is currently working with the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, to improve the quality of the speech synthesis. He also plans to use mobile app stores to distribute a version of his software with about 90 percent of the full Avaz system’s functionality.
Aishwarya Ratan, 30, was working with Microsoft Research in Bangalore when she won the prestigious honour for her work on converting paper records to digital in real time. Ratan has since moved to Yale University, but the NGO that she was partnering with continues to test the slate in villages.
Two winners of Indian origin include Bhaskar Krishnamachari, 33, University of Southern California who has been selected for his work on smarter wireless networks and Piya Sorcar, 33, for Teachaids software that can be localised to teach taboo topics.
The TR35 will present their work and be honoured at an awards ceremony during the 2011 EmTech MIT conference, taking place Oct 18-19 at MIT’s Media Lab, USA.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Chennai innovator gives voice to the voiceless - Aug 26, 2011
- 6 MIT scientists to address EmTech India in Bangalore - Mar 23, 2012
- 4 IITians make it to MIT TR35 list of young innovators (Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- 4 IITians make it to MIT TR35 list of young innovators - Mar 11, 2012
- 20 Indian geeks to flag innovations at EmTech - Mar 26, 2012
- MIT to hold emerging technologies conference in Bangalore - Feb 27, 2010
- Emering technologies conference at Bangalore from March 22 - Mar 13, 2011
- Science merges with art in laser tribute to Vivekananda - Aug 22, 2012
- Indian MIT alumnus wins Innovator of the Year award - Mar 03, 2010
- Three Indian Americans get innovation, research awards from Obama - Oct 22, 2011
- Need to spur product innovation in India: Expert - Mar 27, 2012
- Indian higher education leadership programme with Yale University - Oct 14, 2011
- Innoz bags MIT award for telecommunication - Apr 04, 2011
- Indian American to lead MIT's largest academic department - Jun 14, 2011
- 3 young Indian American scientists honoured by Obama - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: ajit narayanan, arun kumar, avaz, cambridge massachusetts, consumer technology, emtech, indian institute of science, indian institute of science bangalore, indian origin, massachusetts institute of technology, microsoft research, piya, prestigious honour, ratan, s media, speech synthesis, speech synthesizers, taboo topics, university of southern california, yale university