3D movies waste of money: James McAvoyJune 18th, 2011 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 18 (IANS) Scottish actor James McAvoy feels 3D movies are a “waste of money” and merely a way of making more cash out of cinema enthusiasts.
McAvoy admits he was ecstatic when producers of his “X-Men: First Class” project decided against a 3D release, because he is convinced the technology is simply a tool to increase ticket prices, reports dailystar.co.uk.
“Thank god this movie (’X-Men: First Class’) is not in 3D, which is just an excuse to charge an extra 10 bucks (dollars) at the theatre. Then in the end, they’re not 3D at all. It’s a waste of money. The idea of things coming out of the screen and making you jump out of your seat are done very well but I think it’s a waste of time and money and I wouldn’t pay for a ticket to go to one of those films,” said the actor.
He even feels that the movie “Clash of the Titans” was a 3D failure as its producers added the effects after the film had already been shot.
“I maintain you can’t do a good conversion of a two-hour movie with high quality in a few weeks like they tried to do with ‘Clash of the Titans’. I don’t mean to throw that movie under the bus because my buddy Sam (Worthington) is in it, but I think everybody realised that this was a point at which people had gone too far,” added McAvoy.
The number of movies using 3D technology to enhance the cinema experience has rocketed in Hollywood following the success of James Cameron’s “Avatar” after its release in 2009.
- James McAvoy tumbles on movie set - Oct 07, 2010
- Jennifer Lawrence talks about her X-Men experience - Jun 03, 2011
- 'X-Men' packs a punch in opening week, earns Rs.14.5 crore - Jun 16, 2011
- James McAvoy's confusion - Jun 01, 2011
- Filming on new 'X-Men' movie halted after James McAvoy accident - Oct 07, 2010
- James McAvoy to play Professor X in latest X-Men movie - May 29, 2010
- 'X-Men: First Class' whips up $56 mn on opening weekend - Jun 07, 2011
- First Image Of 'X-Men: First Class' Emerges Online - Jan 19, 2011
- Lautner may join cast of 'X-Men: First Class' - Jul 05, 2010
- Brawn mania: Feast of superhero outings this summer - Jan 25, 2011
- Kevin Bacon to play villain in X-Men? - Jul 16, 2010
- Fans don't recognise James McAvoy - May 28, 2011
- 'X-Men: First Class' - first class indeed! (IANS Film Review) - Jun 11, 2011
- Kevin Bacon cast as the villain in 'X-Men' - Jul 19, 2010
- James McAvoy wants to play Elton John - Feb 06, 2011
Tags: actor james, avatar, cinema experience, clash of the titans, conversion, dailystar, enthusiasts, excuse, first class, james cameron, james mcavoy, producers, realised, sam worthington, scottish actor, ticket prices, time and money, waste of money, waste of time, x men