29.24 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portabilityJanuary 30th, 2012 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 30 (IANS) About 292.4 lakh (29.24 million) mobile phone subscribers have opted for mobile number portability (MNP) with Karnataka receiving the maximum number of 2.83 million requests till the end of December, according to official data released Monday.
MNP allows users to switch operators while retaining their mobile numbers.
“By the end of December 2011 about 292.40 lakh subscribers have submitted their requests to different service providers for porting their mobile number,” the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) said in a statement.
Karnataka was followed by Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh where 2.77 million and 2.69 million customers, respectively, requested for the service.
MNP was implemented across the country in Jan 20 last year while the pilot launch of the service took place in Haryana Nov 25, 2010.
To opt for MNP, a customer has to pay a maximum of Rs.19 to the new operator for ‘porting’ the number and remain with the new operator for at least three months.
The customer has to send an SMS from the existing phone to 1900. A unique porting code is sent by the existing provider. An application then has to be filed with the new service provider mentioning the code for transferring the connection.
- 25.84 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Jan 09, 2012
- 59.31 mn subscribers opted for MNP till July: TRAI - Sep 09, 2012
- Over 50 mn opted for mobile number portability till May - Jul 05, 2012
- 45.89 mn subscribers opted for MNP till April: TRAI - Jun 27, 2012
- 32.79 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Mar 06, 2012
- Over 180.59 lakh opt for mobile number portability - Oct 20, 2011
- Over 41 mn mobile users want to change operators - May 03, 2012
- Over 38 lakh users opt for mobile number portability - Mar 09, 2011
- Over 155 lakh customers opt for mobile number portability - Sep 09, 2011
- Over 85 lakh go for new mobile number - Jun 14, 2011
- Over 64 lakh users opt for mobile number portability - Apr 29, 2011
- TRAI to fine operators for contravening MNP rules - Sep 19, 2012
- Idea Cellular biggest gainer of mobile number portability - May 06, 2012
- Mobile number portability not much of a hit - Dec 04, 2011
- Telecom market dominated by older players, users wont get affected: TRAI - Feb 02, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, gujarat, haryana, karnataka, launch, least three months, maximum number, mnp, mobile number, mobile numbers, mobile phone subscribers, New Delhi, number portability, pilot, service provider, service providers, sms, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, trai