Official Military Health System H1N1 Flu Outbreak Emergency Health AlertMay 1st, 2009 - 9:56 pm ICT by admin
With the current reports of Swine flu in various locations in the United States and in large numbers in Mexico, it is important to review the actions that each of us should take to reduce our risks of catching this new virus. The vaccination that was developed and given for the seasonal flu this past fall does not provide protection against the new Swine flu. However, if individuals become ill with Swine flu, the usual anti-viral drugs Tamiflu(r) and Relenza(r) for treating seasonal flu are effective against Swine flu.
There are a number of ways you and your family can reduce the risk of catching swine flu:
* Avoid people with the flu.
* Wash your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand cleaner.
* Wash your hands before eating or touching your face, after touching surfaces that someone might have coughed or sneezed on, after going out into the community, and after caring for someone who has the flu or touching something that someone who is sick may have touched.
* If someone in your household is sick stay home until that person no longer feels ill.
For more information check your local installation hotline or go to
www.dod.mil/pandemicflu or www.cdc.gov/swineflu
- Military Continues to Monitor H1N1 Flu Virus's Path - May 08, 2009
- Governor Paterson directs state health department to monitor possible swine flu cases - Apr 26, 2009
- How to protect kids this flu season - Jan 16, 2011
- What you need to know about swine flu - Apr 28, 2009
- 2 more people die in Kansas of Swine Flu - Sep 25, 2009
- Military Monitors Swine Flu With Focus on Protecting Force - Apr 28, 2009
- NY Gov. Paterson activates health emergency preparedness plan; puts state on high alert - Apr 27, 2009
- Texas Health Department closes school; bans sick reporters from news conference - Apr 26, 2009
- Up to 200 possibly infected with swine flu at Queens high school - Apr 26, 2009
- Don't panic, swine flu patients say online - Aug 12, 2009
- Simple ways to protect your child from swine flu - Sep 20, 2009
- Key Facts about Swine Influenza (Swine Flu) - Apr 26, 2009
- Investigation of New York City Swine Flu Cluster Continues; Symptoms Remain Mild - Apr 28, 2009
- Swine flu shots must for cardiac patients - Jul 03, 2010
- First case of Tamiflu resistance in pandemic swine flu emerges in Denmark - Jul 01, 2009
Tags: anti viral drugs, cdc, current reports, emergency health, flu, flu outbreak, health alert, household, large numbers, military health system, new virus, pandemicflu, people with the flu, relenza, soap and water, stay home, surfaces, swine flu, tamiflu, vaccination