14th Annual Ely Winter Festival Feb 1-10 Features Snow Sculptures, Entertainment for the Whole FamilyJanuary 25th, 2008 - 3:55 am ICT by admin
ELY, Minn. - Jan. 21 (SEND2PRESS NEWSWIRE) — Preparations are underway for the ten-day Ely Winter Festival being held February 1-10, 2008 in Ely, Minnesota. The cornerstone of the festival is the International Snow Sculpting Symposium in Whiteside Park with 20 “amateur” blocks and 20 large “expert” blocks each carved by a three-person team.
“Snow carvers come from all over the world to participate in the Symposium,” said Barb Hall, one of the volunteer coordinators of the event. “The carvings are breathtaking and just get more so each year.”
New to the Festival are winterized vendors in the park selling hot food and winter craft items. Visitors are able to watch and visit with the carvers as they create their art the first weekend of the Festival.
The town also becomes a veritable art gallery, as merchants clear their windows to display local artists’ works in the Ely ArtWalk (elyartwalk.org) which runs congruent with the Festival.
There are events for all ages, abilities and interests ranging from Sled Dog Rides to Snowmobile Races to Cross-Country Ski Races to Crafts Fairs to Snowbear Building and Wolf Howling Contests to musical and art events.
On Saturday afternoon, February 2, award-winning bluegrass band “Gold Wing Express” direct from Branson, Missouri, performs in concert to benefit the local hospice organization. Then, Saturday night, the Lamont Cranston Band will be playing at the Mukluk Ball, emceed by Patti Steger and Minneapolis radio personality Don Shelby.
On Friday, February 8, Duluth musical group “Warm Women of the North” performs in a music and poetry concert.
The Festival Headquarters is the Front Porch Coffee and Tea Company, where Festival Pins, brochures and information is available. The headquarters has free Wi-Fi(R) for customers’ laptops and computer rental time available.
Up-to-the-minute details on events, as well as pins and other Festival paraphernalia can be obtained from the Festival’s website.
This event is made possible in part through support from the Donald G. Gardner Humanities Trust and the Ely Chamber of Commerce (ely.org). Ely Winter Festival is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
More information: .
Also available on the site is a media page with press-ready images and logos: http://www.elywinterfestival.com/media.html)
of the Ely Winter Festival
* A portion of the cost of this announcement was donated by Neotrope/Send2Press
TAGS: , ,
- Dalrymple spat reminds us why we may still be mentally colonised - Jan 20, 2011
- Craig & Megan Ferguson Expecting a Baby - Jul 15, 2010
- Arts festival to probe link between science, arts, religion (With Image) - Apr 21, 2011
- Indian footprint growing in Art Dubai - Feb 05, 2012
- Music, adventure and more at Gulmarg Winter Festival - Feb 28, 2012
- Paris calling talented young filmmakers from India - Aug 09, 2011
- Eastern hemisphere will witness solar eclipse on Jan 4 - Jan 01, 2011
- New oral drug promises treatment for aggressive lymphoma - May 27, 2010
- India to miss 'Ring of Fire' during Monday's solar eclipse - May 20, 2012
- Shah Rukh Khan Set To Be A Part Of Omani Lifestyle! - Jan 25, 2011
- Madeleine Albright's 'Read My Pins' Book and Exhibit - May 18, 2010
- 25th Burning Man Festival Begins - Aug 27, 2012
- Lunar Eclispe Coincides With Winter Solstice After 456 Years - Dec 20, 2010
- WWE Smackdown: Teddy Long Takes Over - Oct 08, 2011
- Four Indian galleries, Husain tribute at Art Dubai 2012 (With Image) - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: branson missouri, country ski races, don shelby, ely minnesota, emceed, festival headquarters, free wi fi, front porch, hospice organization, international snow, lamont cranston band, minneapolis radio, radio personality, rental time, snow sculpting, snow sculptures, volunteer coordinators, whiteside park, winter craft