Zuma promises to unite all South AfricansApril 26th, 2009 - 8:05 am ICT by IANS
Pretoria, April 26 (IANS) South Africa’s president-elect Jacob Zuma has said his government will work to unite the nation.
“Working together we will make it a government for all South Africans,” Zuma said, while addressing the media shortly after the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) announced the election results Saturday night.
Zuma’s African National Congress (ANC) got 65.9 percent votes of the total 17,680,729 valid votes cast. The ANC secured 264 seats in the national assembly, BuaNews reported.
Zuma said the new administration will make greater effort to eradicate poverty and build on the success of the past 15 years. He said the government will improve service delivery by employing competent people in the relevant posts.
He also congratulated the IEC for delivering a successful election. “They (IEC) always rise to our expectations and make our nation proud. The elections were free and fair, and we accept the results,” Zuma said.
“We assure you that your vote was not misplaced. We thank ANC cadres, supporters and volunteers for their excellent work across the length and breadth of our country. This is your victory,” he said.
- Zuma lauds Hindus' role in South African struggle - Jun 01, 2012
- Well done South Africa, says Zuma after World Cup - Jul 12, 2010
- Indians enriched South Africa's history: Zuma - Nov 16, 2010
- South Africa wants more women, blacks as judges - Apr 28, 2011
- Zuma accused of blasphemy after claiming supporters will go to heaven - Feb 08, 2011
- Indian-origin political leader dies in South Africa - Dec 31, 2011
- South African President condoles Fatima Meer's death - Mar 15, 2010
- ANC gets two-thirds of vote in South Africa - Apr 24, 2009
- Millions of South African students greet Mandela on birthday - Jul 18, 2011
- ANC gets two-thirds of vote in South Africa elections (Lead) - Apr 24, 2009
- South African election a sign of mature democracy, says president - Apr 21, 2009
- South African president takes HIV test - Apr 09, 2010
- South Africa to create 100,000 more jobs: President - Dec 20, 2011
- Horse ban hits key South African export - Nov 20, 2011
- Zuma's ANC wins fourth straight term with reduced majority (Lead) - Apr 26, 2009
Tags: african national congress, anc, breadth, cadres, election results, independent electoral commission, jacob zuma, national assembly, new administration, poverty, president elect, pretoria, relevant posts, saturday night, service delivery, south africa, south africans, valid votes, volunteers, zuma