Zia criticises Hasina as she is being sworn in as PMJanuary 7th, 2009 - 11:55 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Jan 7 (IANS) Former Bangladesh prime minister Khaleda Zia launched a broadside against her political rival and now prime minister Sheikh Hasina even as the swearing-in ceremony was being conducted, accusing her of “killing, snatching and criminal activities”.Upset at the post-poll violence that left one dead and several injured across the country, Zia visited the family of one of those allegedly attacked in the national capital Tuesday evening while the the swearing-in ceremony was being conducted in Bangabhavan, the presidential palace.
Unidentified assailants had shot dead Nazrul Islam at around 3.30 p.m., just three hours before the Bangabhavan ceremony, The Daily Star newspaper reported.
“You’re observing what is happening across the country. Does it mean change? Do people want it?” Khaleda said after visiting the family members of Nazrul Islam, a leader of Jatiyatabadi Swechchhasebak Dal, the volunteer corps of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) who was killed Monday in the city’s Bijoynagar area.
Zia, who stayed away from Hasina’s oath taking ceremony, demanded immediate arrest of those involved in the killing.
The five lawmakers-elect who represented her at the ceremony complained of violence allegedly by workers of Hasina’s Awami League, media reports said Wednesday.
Salahuddin Qader Chowdhury, who led a five member team of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) to the ceremony, sarcastically said that they had come to “watch” how Hasina was going to affect her “charter of change”, her poll manifesto.
BNP and its allies have not yet taken oath as members of the ninth parliament.
The Hasina-led nine-party alliance swept the Dec 29 poll.
- WikiLeaks: India worried over Hasina, Zia - Dec 20, 2010
- Khaleda Zia demands mid-term polls in Bangladesh - Nov 03, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition stages mass hunger strike - May 21, 2012
- Zia to send delegation to Hasina's oath-taking ceremony (Lead) - Jan 06, 2009
- Bangladesh's opposition lawmakers may resign from parliament - Nov 20, 2010
- Khaleda Zia's son, 29 others indicted in 2004 bombing - Mar 18, 2012
- 3,000 arrested in Bangladesh - Mar 10, 2012
- Sheikh Hasina sworn-in Bangladesh PM for second time (Lead) - Jan 06, 2009
- India only friend of Hasina government: Opposition leader - May 13, 2011
- Hasina to meet panel on Islamic references in constitution - Apr 27, 2011
- Hasina decries opposition's strike call - Nov 28, 2010
- War crimes trial divides Bangladesh opposition - Mar 29, 2011
- Bangladesh opposition observes Farakka Day - May 16, 2011
- Zia, opposition give miss to parliament swearing-in - Jan 04, 2009
- Bangladesh opposition parties to launch stir against Hasina - Jun 06, 2010