YSR Congress Party to vote for PranabJuly 18th, 2012 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 18 (IANS) The YSR Congress Party Wednesday decided to support United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee in the presidential election.
The party also decided to back UPA’s M. Hamid Ansari for the vice president’s post.
YSR Congress Party MP Mekapati Rajamohan Reddy announced the party’s decision after a meeting chaired by party’s honorary president Y.S. Vijayalakshmi.
“Our decision is above politics. We hope that Mr. Pranab Mukherjee would do justice to the post of constitutional head,” he told reporters.
He said Mukherjee had approached Vijayalakshmi, seeking the party’s support. Replying to a question, he clarified that the party’s decision has nothing to do with the ongoing disproportionate assets case against party president Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy.
Jaganmohan Reddy, MP from Kadapa who is currently lodged in Chanchalguda Central Jail, was Tuesday permitted by a special court to cast his vote in Thursday’s presidential election.
The party has two MPs while Congress MP Sabbam Hari is also its loyalist. The party has 17 members in the Andhra Pradesh state assembly.
- Andhra speaker first to vote presidential poll - Jul 19, 2012
- Jagan leaves jail to vote in presidential poll (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- MP loyal to Jagan quits, another to follow suit - Aug 24, 2011
- India to elect new president Thursday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- CVC seeks report from CBI on leaks in Jagan case - Jul 07, 2012
- Andhra pays tributes to YSR on death anniversary - Sep 02, 2012
- MIM chief Owaisi meets Jagan in jail - Jun 19, 2012
- Newly-elected legislators call on Jagan in jail - Jun 16, 2012
- Sangma not allowed to meet Jagan in jail - Jun 25, 2012
- Mother, wife call on Jagan in jail - May 29, 2012
- Jagan arrest: Andhra shutdown call evokes poor response (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Supreme Court notice to CBI on Jagan's bail plea - Aug 09, 2012
- Andhra parties welcome by-poll schedule - Apr 24, 2012
- Jagan formally launches YSR Congress Party - Mar 12, 2011
- Court allows Jagan to vote in presidential election - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh state, assets, central jail, congress party, hamid ansari, honorary president, hyderabad, kadapa, mp, mps, party president, pranab mukherjee, presidential election, progressive alliance, sabbam, state assembly, vice president, vijayalakshmi, ysr