YSR Congress Party bags 8 assembly seats, leading in 7 (Second Lead)June 15th, 2012 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 15 (IANS) Riding on the sympathy wave in the wake of its leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy’s arrest, the YSR Congress Party (YSRCP) has bagged eight assembly seats and is leading in seven other assembly segments and the Nellore Lok Sabha constituency.
With this, YSRCP formed by Jaganmohan Reddy, the son of late chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy, popularly known as YSR, is heading for a clean sweep in the by-elections to the Nellore Lok Sabha and 18 assembly seats.
The ruling Congress party won a seat and was leading in another constituency. Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) was ahead in Parakala, the only assembly constituency in Telangana that went to polls.
The counting of votes began at 8 a.m. amid tight security in the constituencies spread over 12 districts. About 70 percent polling was recorded in Nellore and an average 80 percent in the assembly constituencies in the by-elections held on Tuesday.
In Nellore Lok Sabha constituency, Mekapati Rajamohan Reddy of YSRCP was leading by over 50,000 votes over his nearest rival and former central minister T. Subbarami Reddy of Congress party.
The by-elections were caused by the resignation of one member of parliament and disqualification of 17 legislators of the Congress party who had switched loyalties to the YSRCP.
The Tirupati assembly seat fell vacant after the election of actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi to the Rajya Sabha.
Jagan, as the YSRCP leader is popularly known, was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and sent to jail on May 27 in an illegal assets case when he was busy campaigning for the party.
His mother Y.S. Vijayamma and sister Sharmila managed to evoke sympathy by accusing Congress and TDP of targeting Jagan.
Vijayamma even pointed finger at Congress party by raising her doubts over the cause of the Sep 2, 2009, helicopter crash which killed her husband and the then chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy.
Jagan and Vijayamma had quit Congress party and Kadapa Lok Sabha and Pulivendula assembly seats, respectively, in late 2010 accusing Congress of trying to split their family. They floated the YSRCP promising to implement the pro-poor schemes launched by YSR.
They retained the seats with a massive majority in the by-elections held last year.
In March this year, YSRCP also won Kovur assembly seat in Nellore district in the by-election necessitated by the resignation of TDP legislator.
- YSR Congress headed for clean sweep in Andhra by-elections (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress Party wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- Congress MP forecasts Jagan party's sweep - Jun 12, 2012
- It's people's victory, says Jagan's mother - Jun 15, 2012
- YSRCP sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags one Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Fourth Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Stage set for Tuesday's by-polls in Andhra Pradesh - Jun 11, 2012
- Newly-elected legislators call on Jagan in jail - Jun 16, 2012
- Banking on YSR legacy, Jagan emerges a key force (Andhra Pradesh Newsletter) - Jun 16, 2012
- YSR Congress leads the Andhra by-elections - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress elated over first win outside Kadapa - Mar 21, 2012
- Jagan's mother, sister storm Andhra by-poll scene (With images) - May 31, 2012
- MIM chief Owaisi meets Jagan in jail - Jun 19, 2012
- Jagan's mother to campaign in by-elections - May 28, 2012
Tags: actor turned politician, assembly constituencies, assembly seat, assembly seats, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, chiranjeevi, clean sweep, congress party, helicopter crash, jagan, Lok Sabha, member of parliament, nellore, party bags, rajya sabha, sabha constituency, sharmila, tight security, ysr