YSR Congress leads the Andhra by-electionsJune 15th, 2012 - 11:02 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, June 15 (IANS) Andhra Pradesh’s YSR Congress Party (YSRCP), led by jailed legislator Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy, Friday established early leads in the Nellore Lok Sabha and in 13 of 18 assembly constituencies where by-elections were held two days ago.
The counting of votes began at 8 a.m. amid tight security in the constituencies spread over 12 districts.
The ruling Congress party is ahead on two seats and the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) on one. Trends were available for 16 of 18 seats in the first hour of counting, officials said.
The by-elections were caused by the resignation of one member of parliament and the disqualification of 17 state legislators of Congress party who had switched loyalties to YSRCP.
The Tirupati assembly seat fell vacant after the election of actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi to the Rajya Sabha.
- YSR Congress Party bags 8 assembly seats, leading in 7 (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress Party wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR Congress headed for clean sweep in Andhra by-elections (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSRCP sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags one Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Fourth Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Stage set for Tuesday's by-polls in Andhra Pradesh - Jun 11, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Andhra parties welcome by-poll schedule - Apr 24, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Voting on amid tight security in Andhra by-polls (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Heavy, peaceful turnout in Andhra by-polls (Third Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- YSR Congress elated over first win outside Kadapa - Mar 21, 2012
- 80 percent turnout in Andhra by-polls (Night Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- About 50 percent polling in Andhra by-polls (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Congress MP forecasts Jagan party's sweep - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: actor turned politician, andhra pradesh, assembly constituencies, assembly seat, chiranjeevi, congress party, elections, legislator, Lok Sabha, loyalties, member of parliament, nellore, parliament, rajya sabha, resignation, state legislators, telangana, tight security, trs, ysr