Youth questions Mamata, gets answer this timeAugust 29th, 2012 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Krishnanagar (West Bengal), Aug 29 (IANS) After all the flak she drew the last time she got a man arrested for publicly questioning her government’s policies, West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee Wednesday chose to answer a similar question raised by a young man at a rally.
“The subject is not in our control. It is a central subject, so only the central government can do something about it. In my last visit to Delhi, I asked the government and the prime minister to control prices,” Banerjee said when a youth shouted to her a query about rising fertiliser prices.
Banerjee has embarked on a five-day tour of six districts beginning with Nadia. She was addressing a rally in Krishnanagar when the young man in the crowd asked her the question.
Far from being infuriated, as in the past on such occasions, the chief minister asked the farmers to complain against black marketeers, assuring them that the government would act against the guilty.
At a rally in in Belpahari in West Midnapore district Aug 8, Shiladitya Chowdhury, a marginal farmer, said to the chief minister, “Farmers are dying because they have no money. Empty promises are not enough. What are you doing for farmers?”
Stunned by the question, an angry Banerjee branded the farmer a “Maoist” and asked the police to nab him as he was “intentionally disrupting the rally”.
Chowdhury was detained and taken for interrogation by the police.
Though allowed to go that day, he was later arrested. He was remanded to 14 days’ judicial custody before being granted bail.
- Man arrested for publicly questioning Mamata - Aug 11, 2012
- Bengal rights panel orders probe in Shiladitya Chowdhury's arrest - Aug 17, 2012
- Man who questioned Mamata granted bail - Aug 24, 2012
- Man arrested for questioning Mamata, activists condemn incident (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Man who questioned Mamata denied bail - Aug 13, 2012
- Mamata government intolerant, tries to evade responsibility: Left - Aug 23, 2012
- Mamata's fight against 'corruption in judiciary' (West Bengal Newsletter) - Aug 18, 2012
- Mamata's intolerance thrusting celebrity status on commoners - Sep 19, 2012
- Mamata sees peace in Maoist area, warns guerrillas (West Bengal Newsletter) - Aug 11, 2012
- Mamata blames Left Front for 'brutal' land laws - Mar 12, 2012
- Mamata's comment on court judgments flayed by parties - Aug 15, 2012
- Congress slams Trinamool over petrol price hike protest - May 26, 2012
- Mamata's war cry at Congress fortress (West Bengal Newsletter) - Sep 01, 2012
- Mamata's war cry in Congress fortress (West Bengal Newsletter) (Lead) - Sep 01, 2012
- Railways will not forcibly acquire land, says Mamata - Dec 21, 2010
Tags: black marketeers, central government, central subject, chief minister, empty promises, farmers, fertiliser prices, flak, interrogation, judicial custody, last time, mamata banerjee, man in the crowd, maoist, midnapore district, prime minister, rally, west bengal, young man, youth questions