Youngest minister fumbles, but earns applauseMay 28th, 2009 - 3:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 28 (IANS) She went slow and flumbled twice, but the entire hall at Rashtrapati Bhavan erupted in applause and smiles as Agatha Sangma, the youngest minister in the Manmohan Singh government, took oath Thursday.
Wearing a traditional stole and sarong in beige and white, 28-year-old Sangma folded her hands into a gentle namaste for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi sitting in the front row, before taking her place beside President Prathibha Patil to take oath in Hindi.
However the mike had to be specially adjusted for the petite first-time minister.
Daughter of former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma, who was present at the swearing-in ceremony Thursday and looked on appreciatively as his daughter took oath in the name of god, Agatha hails from Meghalaya and is a lawyer by profession.
Quite a few faces had an anticipatory look as Agatha Sangma fumbled more than once mid-sentence. However, Sonia Gandhi kept smiling throughout her oath taking, nodding appreciatively and then clapping with everyone else as Agatha completed her oath taking.
Walking back to take her seat, a number of people either folded their hands into a namaste to greet her or shook hands with the young minister.
Team Manmohan was finally inducted Thursday with 14 cabinet ministers and 45 ministers of state taking oath at the Rashtrapati Bhavan to wrap up the 79-member council of ministers that will shepherd the Congress-led UPA’s second tenure in office.
- Sangma quits NCP, set to take on Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- Syndicate could turn tables on Pranab: Sangma (Interview) - Jul 11, 2012
- 13 new ministers sworn in - Jul 12, 2011
- PM, Sonia to visit Pranab residence to congratulate him - Jul 22, 2012
- Agatha Sangma skips third event in 10 days to avoid media - Jun 30, 2012
- Hamid Ansari sworn in India's 14th vice-president - Aug 11, 2012
- Colour and ceremony as President Pranab takes office (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Pawar unlikely to attend PM's dinner for president - Jul 23, 2012
- Sangma's daughter skips NCP meet - Jun 21, 2012
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul Gandhi to UPA government: Manmohan Singh - Aug 11, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- I'm very much in presidential race: Sangma - Jun 21, 2012
- Patil greets guests 'At Home', Thai PM says Namaste India - Jan 26, 2012
- Sangma dodges questions on daughter's vote in presidential polls - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: agatha, cabinet ministers, council of ministers, few faces, fumbles, Lok Sabha, manmohan, manmohan singh, meghalaya, member council, ministers of state, namaste, name of god, prathibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, sonia gandhi, swearing in ceremony, time minister