Young minds not pursuing maths: PMDecember 26th, 2011 - 12:59 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 26 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday expressed concern that young minds with a natural ability for mathematics were not pursuing the disciple at an advanced level, resulting in a “decline in the quality of maths teachers at the school and college level”.
In his inaugural speech at a function to mark the 125th birth anniversary of eminent mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan, the prime minister said there was a “general perception that pursuit of maths does not lead to attractive career possibilities”.
He declared 2012 as the National Mathematics Year and Dec 22, the day Ramanujan was born, as Mathematics Day.
“The mathematical community has the duty to find ways and means to address the shortage of top quality mathematicians in the country. It must reach out to the public, especially in the modern context where mathematics has tremendous influence on every kind of human endeavours,” he said.
- Young minds not pursuing maths, says PM (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Manmohan Singh winds up two-day Tamil Nadu visit (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2011
- Indian education needs more flexibility: Indian American mathematician - Jan 22, 2012
- Manmohan Singh warmly welcomed in Chennai - Dec 25, 2011
- DMDK to hold black flag demonstrations during PM's visit - Dec 22, 2011
- Kudankulam, Mullaperiyar to dominate PM's Tamil Nadu visit - Dec 24, 2011
- Indian scientists need to think big: PM - Jan 03, 2011
- PM arrives in Chennai, Jayalalithaa raises Mullaperiyar (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- First formula found for puzzle that captivated Indian scientist Ramanujam - Jan 28, 2011
- President calls for promoting mathematics among youngsters - Aug 19, 2010
- Teachers should guard against lack of knowledge, biases: PM - Sep 04, 2010
- Unfazed by row, Anand plays chess with 40 mathematicians - Aug 24, 2010
- Girls at par with boys when it comes to math abilities - Jan 06, 2010
- `Million scholarships for young students to pursue science' - Dec 03, 2008
- Girls are equally good in maths - Dec 14, 2011
Tags: attractive career, birth anniversary, career possibilities, decline, disciple, eminent mathematician, human endeavours, inaugural speech, manmohan, manmohan singh, mathematical community, mathematicians, maths teachers, national mathematics, natural ability, perception, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, srinivasa ramanujan, ways and means