Yoganand Shastri elected Delhi Assembly speakerDecember 19th, 2008 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 19 (IANS) The Congress’ Yoganand Shastri was Friday elected speaker of the newly elected 70-member Delhi legislative assembly. Shastri was elected unopposed on the second day of the first session of the new assembly. He had Thursday filed his nomination papers for the post.
He succeeds party colleague and stalwart Prem Singh, who was the Speaker in the previous assembly. Singh won the 2008 poll too and will continue to be a member of the house.
Earlier Thursday, the elected legislators were administered oath of membership.
Shastri was the health minister in the previous Sheila Dikshit cabinet and makes way for Kiran Walia this time.
Dikshit’s council of ministers also includes A.K. Walia, Rajkumar Chauhan, Arvinder Singh Lovely, Mangat Ram Singhal, Haroon Yusuf — all ministers in her previous regime.
The Congress won 43 seats in the assembly, while the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had to be content with 23. The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) won two seats and one seat each went to the Lok Janshakti Party and an Independent.
- 68 legislators sworn in as Delhi assembly session begins - Dec 18, 2008
- Dikshit takes oath as Delhi chief minister (Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- Due stress on continuity of development in Delhi: Dikshit - Dec 17, 2008
- Dikshit sworn in as chief minister - Dec 17, 2008
- First session of Delhi''s new Legislative Assembly begins - Dec 18, 2008
- Sheila Dikshit sworn in as Delhi CM - Dec 17, 2008
- Reshuffle to ease work of overburdened ministers: Dikshit - Aug 28, 2012
- Ramakant Goswami sworn-in as Delhi minister - Feb 16, 2011
- All Delhi ministers win, belie BJP hopes - Dec 08, 2008
- Goswami made Delhi cabinet minister (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Punjab assembly session begins Monday - Mar 18, 2012
- Minister's bid to help resort rocks Delhi house (Lead) - Aug 19, 2010
- Delhi to protect tourists, simplify taxes - Dec 01, 2010
- BJP legislators removed from Delhi house, leaders walk out - Mar 24, 2011
- Rajendra Arlekar elected Goa assembly Speaker (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012