Yemeni government, armed tribesmen agree on ceasefireMay 29th, 2011 - 9:31 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a, May 29 (IANS) Yemeni government and armed tribesmen, led by the opposition tribal chieftain Sheikh Sadiq al-Ahmar, have reached a temporary truce to end pitched battles in the capital where at least 127 people have been killed, Xinhua quoted tribal mediators as saying.
The agreement includes the hand-over of government buildings occupied by the armed tribesmen during the conflicts to the mediators, who would later hand them over to the government.
The deal stated to end all forms of military presence and to normalise the situation in the war-torn areas, according to opposition’s media.
The deal also stipulated that the government forces should not attack Al-Ahmar’s house again, the mediators said.
However, some witnesses claimed, despite the ceasefire, sporadic, heavy shoot-outs were still heard in the area late Saturday.
The street fighting erupted Monday between government forces and armed tribal guards of Al-Ahmar, the leader of the powerful Hashed tribes’ confederation.
The gunbattles, in which Al-Ahmar’s fighters took over several government buildings, occurred in Hassaba district in downtown Sana’a, a day after Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh refused to sign a deal to ease him out of power within a month.
- 28 die in Yemen weapons depot blast - May 26, 2011
- Five explosions heard in ceasefire area in Sana'a - May 28, 2011
- Saleh says he is 'in good health' after mosque attack - Jun 04, 2011
- Over 50 killed as clashes between Yemeni security forces and tribal rebels continue - May 25, 2011
- 17 killed in clashes at Yemen's interior ministry - Aug 01, 2012
- Saleh's family preventing vice-president from taking full power - Jun 06, 2011
- Yemeni tribes not to join protest - Feb 27, 2011
- Yemen's top army generals join protesters - Mar 21, 2011
- Yemen opposition insists Saleh quit, president digs in - Mar 22, 2011
- Qatar temporarily closes embassy in Yemen: Report - May 27, 2011
- Saleh sacks defected military commander in Yemen - Mar 28, 2011
- UN secretary general calls for end to Yemen clashes - May 26, 2011
- Al Qaeda releases 73 Yemeni soldiers - Apr 28, 2012
- US was told of Yemen leader's vulnerability two years ago: WikiLeaks cable - Apr 08, 2011
- Three top Yemen generals join opposition against President Saleh - Mar 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,