Yemen seals Al Jazeera TV office in Sana’aApril 10th, 2011 - 5:22 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a, April 10 (IANS) Security authorities of Yemen closed the office of Doha-based Al Jazeera satellite TV Channel in Sana’a and revoked its permit for supporting sabotage in the country, Xinhua cited the state-run Saba news agency in a report.
“In view of that some media have repeatedly, blatantly meddled into domestic affairs of Yemen, the security authorities decided to close the office of Doha-based Al Jazeera satellite TV Channel in Sana’a with sealing wax and revoked its permit,” Saba quoted an information ministry official as saying Saturday.
“This final action came after Al Jazeera television persisted in conducting a subversive scheme and supporting sabotage that aimed at inciting sedition, hatred and fighting against the government in number of Yemeni provinces,” the official stated.
“In addition to that, Al Jazeera had also violated the Yemeni laws, and it lacked credibility, professionalism and impartiality in its coverage of anti-government protests in Yemen,” he added.
The step came few hours after Yemen recalled its ambassador to Qatar for consultation, as a response to the remarks of Qatari Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Hamad bin Jassem bin Jabr al-Thani that the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) “hopes to reach a deal with the Yemeni president to step down”.
- Saleh not to sign power-transfer plan in Qatari envoys' presence - Apr 29, 2011
- Qatar used Al Jazeera to suit foreign policy, claims WikiLeaks expose - Dec 06, 2010
- Qatar exits GCC-initiated Yemen solution - May 13, 2011
- Qatar pledges to invest $4 bn in Spain - Mar 01, 2011
- Clinton calls Yemen situation threat to global security - Jan 05, 2010
- Arab League adopts sanctions against Syria - Nov 28, 2011
- 'Qatar needs to ensure better protection of Indian workers' - Apr 07, 2012
- 'Qatar needs to ensure better protection of Indian workers' (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- 400 demonstrators injured in Yemen clashes - Apr 05, 2011
- Yemeni President Saleh calls for early presidential elections - May 21, 2011
- Saleh says he is 'in good health' after mosque attack - Jun 04, 2011
- Yemeni government welcomes Riyadh's conciliation call - Apr 06, 2011
- Yemen may witness signing of power transition plan Saturday - Apr 27, 2011
- Over 50 killed as clashes between Yemeni security forces and tribal rebels continue - May 25, 2011
- Syrian rebels claim kidnapped Iranians are spies (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: al jazeera, al jazeera tv, al thani, domestic affairs, foreign minister, gcc, gulf cooperation council, impartiality, information ministry, jazeera television, ministry official, saba, sabotage, satellite tv channel, sealing wax, security authorities, sedition, tv office, xinhua, yemeni president