Yemen may witness signing of power transition plan SaturdayApril 27th, 2011 - 7:43 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A power transition plan between Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh and the opposition could be signed Saturday in the Saudi capital of Riyadh, Al Jazeera reported.
Under the plan, proposed by the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), the president will resign within 30 days and the new president will be elected within two months.
“The secretary general of the Gulf Cooperation Council, Abdullatif Al-Zayani, is expected to arrive in the Yemeni capital Sana’a in the next few days to finally coordinate all details of the deal between the conflicting parties,” opposition leader Mohammed Salem Bassandawa said.
He said the president had already agreed to meet with Al-Zayani, and after their talks the date and venue for the signing of the deal would be announced.
The GCC comprises Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Oman and Saudi Arabia.
Saleh, who has ruled Yemen for more than three decades, voiced his readiness to accept the transition plan Friday, during a rally of his supporters.
The opposition coalition also welcomed the GCC plan, but refused to take part in the national unity government and criticised the plan for making Saleh and his relatives immune to prosecution.
Protests inspired by popular uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt broke out in Yemen in early February. According to western media reports, at least 120 people have been killed in clashes between protesters and government troops.
- Yemen' Opposition accepts GCC power-transfer plan - Apr 26, 2011
- Yemeni President Saleh calls for early presidential elections - May 21, 2011
- Yemen's Saleh hands over power to new president - Feb 27, 2012
- Qatar exits GCC-initiated Yemen solution - May 13, 2011
- When a British diplomat had a scare in Yemen - May 23, 2011
- Over 50 killed as clashes between Yemeni security forces and tribal rebels continue - May 25, 2011
- Yemen witnesses anti-Saleh protests, people seek his immediate departure - Apr 25, 2011
- Yemeni vice president is acting president: Al Jazeera - Jun 05, 2011
- Saleh not to sign power-transfer plan in Qatari envoys' presence - Apr 29, 2011
- Saleh says he is 'in good health' after mosque attack - Jun 04, 2011
- Yemeni President Saleh says he will 'soon' return to his country - Aug 17, 2011
- Hadi elected as Yemen's new president - Feb 25, 2012
- Yemeni government welcomes Riyadh's conciliation call - Apr 06, 2011
- GCC foreign ministers to discuss Yemen in Abu Dhabi - Apr 20, 2011
- Gulf Cooperation Council calls for power transfer in Yemen - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: al jazeera, ali abdullah saleh, government troops, gulf cooperation council, more than three decades, national unity government, new president, opposition coalition, opposition leader, power transition, president ali abdullah saleh, qatar kuwait, ria novosti, saudi arabia, saudi capital, transition plan, united arab emirates, uprisings, yemeni capital, yemeni president