Yemen apologises for killing 42 civilians in airstrikeMarch 4th, 2010 - 2:33 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a (Yemen), March 4 (DPA) The Yemeni government Wednesday apologised to families of 42 civilians killed in an airstrike that targeted Al Qaeda figures in southern Yemen in December.
Deputy Prime Minister for Defence and Security Rashad al-Alimi made the apology in parliament, saying the government would pay compensation.
An ad hoc fact-finding committee submitted to the parliament a report saying that 42 civilians, mainly women and children, were killed in the December 17 airstrike in al-Maajala area of the southern Abyan province.
“We apologise to those innocent citizens killed in the operation against Al Qaeda organisation in Abyan,” al-Alimi said in a statement during a parliamentary debate on the strike.
“We work, and anyone who works makes mistakes,” he said.
Al-Alimi said President Ali Abdullah Saleh had made orders to the government to pay compensation.
Authorities have said the airstrike targeted a meeting of leading Al Qaeda figures and that 30 Al Qaeda men were killed. Later officials said only two Al Qaeda members were killed in the raid.
Sana’a has stepped up operations against Al Qaeda in the country since December, especially after the Yemen-based Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula claimed responsibility for the failed plot to blow up a US passenger jet as it prepared to land at Detroit on Christmas Day.
- Two Al Qaeda men killed in Yemen airstrike - Mar 15, 2010
- 20 Al Qaeda terrorists killed in Yemen - May 26, 2012
- Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in Yemen - Aug 05, 2012
- Wikileaks disclose Yemeni President Saleh offered US 'open door' to attack al-Qaida - Dec 04, 2010
- Seven Al Qaeda men killed in Yemen - Aug 23, 2010
- Al Qaeda forms army of 12,000 fighters in Yemen - Jul 30, 2010
- TSA Administrator visits Yemen, meets with security officials in Germany - Nov 04, 2010
- 13 Al Qaeda militants killed in Yemen - Jul 04, 2011
- Yemen troops capture Al Qaeda stronghold - Jun 16, 2012
- Five Al Qaeda terrorists escape from Yemen jail - Jun 27, 2012
- 11 policemen, three Al Qaeda militants killed in Yemen - Aug 21, 2010
- 21 Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula militants killed in Yemen - Jun 11, 2011
- Four killed as security forces clash with Yemen militants - Sep 05, 2010
- Al Qaeda releases 73 Yemeni soldiers - Apr 28, 2012
- Five Al Qaeda men killed in Yemen - Sep 27, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, al qaeda in the arabian peninsula, ali abdullah saleh, alimi, apologises, apology, christmas, christmas day, civilians, compensation authorities, december 17, deputy prime minister, innocent citizens, parliament, parliamentary debate, passenger jet, president ali abdullah saleh, southern yemen, yemeni government