Yeddyurappa supports HazareApril 8th, 2011 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, April 8 (IANS) Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa, who is facing corruption and illegal land deal charges, Friday said he fully supported social activist Anna Hazare’s fast-unto-death to press for strong anti-graft measures.
“It is time such a legislation (Jan Lokpal) to eradicate corruption in the country is enacted,” Yeddyurappa told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
His support came as leading Kannada writers, film actors, politicians, students joined the four people on hunger strike at Freedom Park here in solidarity with Hazare’s fast in New Delhi.
One of the four is on fast since April 5, the day Hazare began his fast-unto-death at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi pressing for early enactment of Jan Lokpal Bill. Three others joined the fast April 6.
Among the writers was Jnanpith Award winner U.R. Ananthmurthy, who said he was there not as an award winning writer but as an ordinary citizen of India to join other Indians in the fight to end corruption.
Like Thursday evening, a candlelight vigil will be held Friday also at Freedom Park in the heart of the city.
- Candlelight march to support Hazare crusade - Apr 06, 2011
- BJP wants stringent Lokpal Bill - Apr 08, 2011
- Karnataka activists launch fast against graft - Apr 05, 2011
- Thousands join anti-graft crusade as Hazare begins fast (Roundup) - Apr 05, 2011
- Thousands join anti-graft crusade as Hazare begins fast (Intro Roundup) - Apr 05, 2011
- Support pours in for Anna Hazare in Chhattisgarh - Apr 08, 2011
- Anna Hazare continues fast, protests become national outcry - Apr 06, 2011
- Anna Hazare reaches Rajghat, hundreds join in support - Apr 05, 2011
- Hazare appeals to people to maintain peace - Aug 17, 2011
- Madhur Bhandarkar meets Hazare - Apr 07, 2011
- Hazare's rallying anti-corruption cry galvanises India - Apr 06, 2011
- Fight corruption in real life too: Anupam Kher - Apr 08, 2011
- India Inc supports Anna Hazare - Apr 08, 2011
- Govt. ready to look into Hazare's demands: Sibal - Apr 06, 2011
- Anna Hazare plans fast unto death for strong Lokpal bil - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, award winner, candlelight vigil, citizen, corruption, enactment, film actors, freedom park, heart of the city, hunger strike, indians, karnataka chief minister, legislation, mantar, measures, New Delhi, politicians, sidelines, social activist, solidarity