Yeddyurappa sets deadline for governor to convene assemblyMay 19th, 2011 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 19 (IANS) Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa set Thursday evening as deadline for Governor H.R. Bhardwaj to convene the assembly on June 2 or face statewide agitation from Friday.
“If the governor does not agree to my cabinet’s request to him to convene the assembly from June 2, I will travel the length and breadth of the state from Friday in a jeep to explain the situation to the people,” Yeddyurappa told reporters here.
Law minister S. Suresh Kumar told a press conference later: “Yeddyurappa will lead a protest rally at Mahatma Gandhi Statue (near Raj Bhavan) Friday morning where all ministers will be present.”
Bhardwaj has declined to agree to convene the assembly saying he “is waiting for the central government decision” on his May 15 recommendation to dismiss the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ministry.
Bhardwaj conveyed his decision to Yeddyurappa during a meeting here Wednesday.
On Thursday, Bangalore saw rallies for and against Bhardwaj, organized by Congress and the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), respectively.
The Congress demanded immediate dismissal of the Yeddyurappa ministry and shouted slogans hailing Bhardwaj.
The BJP demonstrators condemned Bhardwaj for recommending the dismissal and threatened to continue their agitation till his recall.
- Yeddyurappa threatens stir, opposition firm on ouster (Lead) - May 19, 2011
- As BJP battles governor, it's speculation time in Karnataka - May 20, 2011
- Battle for Karnataka shifts to Delhi (Afternoon Lead) - May 16, 2011
- BJP takes Karnataka battle to Delhi - May 16, 2011
- BJP sets May 25 deadline for Bhardwaj's recall - May 20, 2011
- Karnataka crisis lingers on, Bhardwaj and BJP stick to stand (Roundup) - May 18, 2011
- Karnataka ombudsman sticks to charge against BJP leader - Jul 20, 2011
- Bhardwaj agrees for assembly meet, BJP firm on recall - May 23, 2011
- Yeddyurappa gets rousing reception; Chidambaram says Bhardwaj stays (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- BJP hits road against Karnataka governor - May 21, 2011
- Yeddyurappa safe, for now - May 15, 2011
- BJP drops protest plan at Raj Bhavan, holds rally - May 16, 2011
- BJP threatens nation-wide stir to save Karnataka ministry - May 22, 2011
- Yeddyurappa survives, gets 16 rebels support (Lead) - May 15, 2011
- Rallies for and against Bhardwaj in Karnataka - May 17, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,