Yechury urges uniform land acquisition act for SEZsSeptember 30th, 2008 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 29 (IANS) There should be a uniform act on acquiring land for setting up special economic zones (SEZs) in the country, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo member Sitaram Yechury said Monday.”A modern law needs to be drafted for acquiring land for SEZs. Though land acquisition is a state subject, the government should have an all-India law for this,” Yechury said at an interactive session on Industrialisation, Agricultural Growth and Employment organised by the Merchants’ Chamber of Commerce (MCC) here.
He said his party was fighting for the cause in parliament and the issue had also been discussed in the relevant parliamentary standing committees.
“The subject of tax benefits for the SEZ land also needs to be addressed. If the government offers huge tax concessions for the SEZ areas, all industrialists would prefer to take those benefits,” Yechury said, emphasising the need to address modernised agriculture and compensation package for those who lose their land.
He said the government should also focus on reducing the disparity between the rich and poor in India.
“The purchasing capacity of the poor should also be addressed immediately. The growth must be inclusive which would benefit everyone in society,” he added.
- Assocham for tax sops to promote SEZs - Apr 22, 2012
- Sitaram Yechuri criticises Obama's India visit - Nov 03, 2010
- 'Budget ineffective, clerical; will burden common man' (Second Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Karnataka farmers to protest against agri-summit - Dec 01, 2011
- Say no to American dairy products: CPI-M - Nov 04, 2010
- CPI-M demands Raja's head over spectrum scam - Nov 04, 2010
- Buddhadeb demands a new land acquisition bill - Sep 20, 2010
- Land acquisition law must avert conflict, push development(Comment) - Jul 14, 2011
- Low farm growth, unemployment led to Left downfall: Economists - May 15, 2011
- 'Set up land corporation to acquire land for industries' - Jul 04, 2011
- Parliamentary panel seeks public opinion on land bill - Oct 14, 2011
- Anand Sharma opposes report on land acquisition - May 18, 2012
- New land bill will facilitate economic growth: Ramesh - May 18, 2012
- Making housing affordable: Realty industry needs budget boost (Comment) - Feb 26, 2012
- India circulates draft land acquisition bill - Jul 29, 2011
Tags: agricultural growth, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, india law, land acquisition act, politburo member, poor in india, sitaram yechury, standing committees, tax concessions