Wrong to hijack democratic institutions: Aruna RoyAugust 20th, 2011 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 20 (IANS) Aruna Roy, member of the Sonia Gandhi-led National Advisory Council, Saturday hit out at the ongoing protest by Team Anna and said no one should be allowed to hijack democratic institutions.
Addressing media persons at the Press Club here, Roy said social activist Anna Hazare’s indefinite fast to get the civil society’s version of the Lokpal Bill passed was wrong. She said Hazare was “ill advised and it is wrong to undermine democratic institutions”.
Roy also said a version of the Lokpal bill drafted by the National Campaign for People’s Right to Information (NCPRI) of which she is a member, would be presented to the parliament’s standing committee.
“We will present our views before the standing committee. We hope the consultations will result in a good Lokpal Bill,” said Roy.
Her comments came as the standing committee published advertisements in newspapers Saturday seeking public opinion on the government’s draft Lokpal Bill presented in parliament.
Roy also said the office of the prime minister should come under the Lokpal.
“We believe the prime minister’s office should come under the Lokpal Bill. We have suggested some safeguards for this in our version of the bill,” said Roy.
Stating that widespread consultations were required before the anti-graft law takes shape, Roy said the NAC had involved Anna supporters Shanti Bhushan, Prashant Bhushan and Arvind Kejriwal in its consultations on the draft Lokpal Bill.
The NAC dropped further consultation process on a draft Lokpal Bill after a 10-member civil society-government team was formed to draft an anti-graft bill following a hunger strike by Hazare in April.
Her associate Nikhil Dey said the government Lokpal Bill deals with only an ombudsman at the centre and it should also appoint Lokayuktas at the state level and have a separate mechanism for grievance redressal.
- Team Anna, other activists differ over Lokpal (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Aruna Roy to present views before Lokpal panel Wednesday - Sep 06, 2011
- PM ready for 'give and take' as Hazare continues fast (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2011
- Concerned about 'old comrade' Anna's health: Aruna Roy - Aug 24, 2011
- Anna should contest elections: Congress - Aug 10, 2011
- Hazare again threatens government with agitation - Jun 20, 2011
- Team Anna to meet government panel on Lokpal - Aug 10, 2011
- Jan Lokpal impractical, undemocratic: Aruna Roy (Interview) - Aug 21, 2011
- Consensus in Lokpal drafting panel on independence (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Process of drafting Lokpal Bill transparent: Bhushan - May 23, 2011
- Lokpal should be independent, agree panel members (Second Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Will be on Lokpal committee with open mind: Khurshid - Apr 13, 2011
- Fasting Anna ready for talks, but on his Lokpal (Evening Lead) - Aug 21, 2011
- Lokpal Bill draft panel to meet in capital - May 07, 2011
- Anna Hazare plans fast unto death for strong Lokpal bil - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, anti graft law, aruna roy, arvind kejriwal, bill deals, consultation process, democratic institutions, government team, grievance, hunger strike, media persons, nac, national advisory council, national campaign, nikhil, office of the prime minister, prashant, social activist, sonia gandhi, standing committee