Would like to see Pranab challenged: Subramanian SwamyJune 16th, 2012 - 5:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 16 (IANS) Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy Saturday praised West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for naming former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam as a presidential candidate and said he would like to see United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee being challenged.
“We respect Mamata and salute her. She has shown guts and grown in national stature. I personally would like to see that Pranab is challenged,” Swamy told reporters.
He said the crude methods which UPA chiarperson Sonia Gandhi had used to bring people on board needed to be exposed.
The UPA Friday announced Pranab Mukherjee as its presidential candidate. The Congress is trying to build a consensus on Mukherjee’s name for the post.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) core group is meeting Saturday to discuss the party’s candidate for the top constitutional slot, while the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) is expected to meet Sunday.
The presidential election will be held July 19.
- BJP core group to meet today, allies divided over presidency (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Mulayam remains mum as Samajwadi Party keeps everyone guessing - Jun 15, 2012
- Pranab miles ahead as NDA squabbles (Roundup) - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP to send Swamy as emissary to Mulayam - Jun 15, 2012
- NDA fails to decide on presidential poll (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Pranab yet again appeals to Trinamool - Jun 24, 2012
- Left parties to meet June 21 to discuss presidential poll - Jun 16, 2012
- NDA meet on presidential candidate begins in Delhi - Jun 17, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Notification for presidential poll issued (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Will talk to Mamata if necessary, says Pranab - Jun 24, 2012
- Pranab tries to woo Trinamool, to resign Sunday - Jun 23, 2012
- NDA decision unlikely before Saturday, cards close to chest - Jun 13, 2012
- BJP backs Sangma for presidential election (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Consensus growing in favour of Pranab (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, consensus, core group, crude methods, former president, guts, mamata banerjee, national democratic alliance, national stature, nda, New Delhi, party chief, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential election, progressive alliance, sonia gandhi, west bengal