World Bank to provide Rs.1,000 crore loan to West BengalJuly 15th, 2010 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 15 (IANS) The World Bank will provide a soft loan of Rs.1,000 crore to the West Bengal government for strengthening the state’s panchayat system.
A memorandum of understanding in this regard was signed by the representatives of the central government, state government and the World Bank at the state secretariat here Thursday.
The panchayat and rural development department will avail the funds under a project called “Institutional Strengthening of Gram Panchayats”.
The department will select 1,000 gram panchayats in nine backward districts which would be provided Rs.one crore each for capacity building and providing special facilities to villagers.
“Of the Rs. one crore to be given to each gram panchayat, Rs.20 lakh would be spent on capacity building - imparting training to panchayat members to enable them to conceive and execute rural welfare projects,” said panchayat and rural development minister Anisur Rahaman.
As per the deal, the state government will not have to repay the loan for the first ten years. For the next 30 years, the loan has to be paid back in instalments with one percent surcharge, a senior government official said.
- World Bank loan to improve West Bengal panchayats - Jun 09, 2010
- Government signs accord with World Bank $155.3 mn grant (With Image) - Feb 17, 2012
- World Bank offers $200 million loan to Kerala (With Images) - Jul 05, 2011
- World Bank grants $155.3 million loan for Kerala water project - Dec 16, 2011
- No discrimination against Jharkhand: Jairam Ramesh - Oct 09, 2011
- Allocation for agriculture up 18 percent - Mar 16, 2012
- Mamata strips non-Trinamool panchayat heads of power - Mar 27, 2012
- Kerala to get $200 mn World Bank aid - Jul 04, 2011
- Amid monsoon worry, interest-free loan for Rajasthan farmers - Jul 29, 2012
- Cabinet releases Rs.10,091 crore for crop loan subsidies - Sep 06, 2012
- Cabinet nod for continuing farmers' loan scheme - Sep 06, 2012
- Panchayat system to be boosted in Maoist-affected districts: Ramesh - Jan 26, 2012
- World Bank to give $37 mn more for Himachal watershed project - May 20, 2012
- Nabard sanctions Rs.70 crore loan to Himachal - Jul 24, 2012
- For every 40 rural households, a welfare scheme volunteer - May 23, 2011
Tags: central government, development minister, government official, government state, gram panchayat, gram panchayats, instalments, kolkata, lakh, memorandum of understanding, regard, rs 1, rural development department, secretariat, soft loan, state government, state secretariat, welfare projects, west bengal government, world bank