Work with us for Siliguri’s development: Mamata to RailwaysFebruary 11th, 2012 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Siliguri, Feb 11 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Saturday urged Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi to look into the possibilities of working together with the state government for the development of the Siliguri area of Darjeeling district.
“In Siliguri, most of the area belongs to the railways. As large tracts of land are lying vacant, I would request the railway minister to work in coordination with the state government for the development of the area. If the railways are interested, then we can take up developmental packages jointly,” said Banerjee while addressing a programme of the railways.
Banerjee, in the presence of Trivedi, flagged off several new trains in the area. Among these trains were New Jalpaiguri-Radhikapur DEMU service, Dhubri-Silghat Town Rajya Rani Express, New Jalpaiguri-Balurghat DEMU service.
Banerjee also announced that the state government is planning to take up developmental packages for the refugees in the area.
“A lot of industries will come up in the area. We will create so much employment here that young people will not leave the area,” she said.
- Mamata to visit Darjeeling soon, appeals for peace - Sep 14, 2010
- Shutdown in Bengal's Terai, Dooars evokes mixed response - Apr 23, 2012
- Mamata announces projects for north Bengal - Jul 19, 2011
- Shutdown in Siliguri, Dooars against Darjeeling accord - Jul 18, 2011
- Locals detain 75 suspected Bangladeshis in Assam - Mar 17, 2012
- Violent clashes, arson mark shutdown in Bengal's Terai, Dooars (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Can sacrifice our lives, but won't part with Darjeeling: Mamata Roundup) - Oct 12, 2011
- Mamata's sops to 'turn Darjeeling into Switzerland' - Oct 11, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee talks of special package for Darjeeling - Sep 28, 2010
- Poll campaigning peaks in north Bengal districts - Apr 13, 2011
- Flood-like situation affects 40,000 in north Bengal - Jul 15, 2012
- Trivedi proposes new projects for home state, constituency - Mar 14, 2012
- Mamata begins Darjeeling tour, meets political parties - Sep 26, 2010
- Quake kills four, injures over 100 in north Bengal - Sep 19, 2011
- Quake kills 10, injures over 200 in Bengal - Sep 19, 2011