Women loses foetus in assault, CPI-M blames TrinamoolNovember 20th, 2011 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 20 (IANS) An incident in which four women were assaulted in the city by two men, resulting in a pregnant woman losing her two-month-old foetus, took on a political colour Sunday with a Left youth leader accusing the Trinamool Congress of shielding the offenders.
“A local Trinamool Congress youth leader has patronised the miscreants and is using his influence to save them. Because of the slackness of the administration, the crime rate in the city has been rising in the last few months,” said Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) youth leader Shatarup Ghosh.
He said the party was planning to take out a protest march against the rising atrocities against women.
The incident happened Friday night near Sarat Ghosh Garden Road under Kasba police station. The four women were assaulted by Sushil Bag and Shital Karmakar after a scuffle broke out over parking of a car.
Jaya Chakraborty, two months pregnant, lost her baby after she was punched in the stomach by the attackers. The duo of Bag and Karmakar were arrested Friday after the family members of the victims lodged a complaint.
“Both Bag and Karmakar were arrested Friday and were booked under various charges including causing grievous hurt. Bag was released on bail Saturday while the court denied the same to Karmakar,” an officer at the Kasba police station told IANS.
- Student is youngest Marxist candidate - Mar 15, 2011
- Politicos piggyback on Bengali new year bonhomie - Apr 14, 2011
- Buddhadeb paints town red with roadshow - Apr 10, 2011
- 31 'crorepati' candidates in third phase of Bengal polls - Apr 22, 2011
- Petrol hike: Angry Trinamool summons parliamentary party meet - Nov 04, 2011
- CPI-M lawmaker given euphoric welcome after bail - Feb 07, 2012
- West Bengal candidates play Holi to woo voters - Mar 19, 2011
- Andhra man beats wife for carrying girl child - Apr 03, 2012
- Rejected by dance reality shows, 9-year-old hangs self - Feb 12, 2011
- More politicians involved in Midnapore skeleton case: Cops - Aug 13, 2011
- Cartoon row: Bengal rights panel summons Kolkata police chief - Jun 19, 2012
- Murder accused CPI-M leader attacked with shoe - Mar 06, 2012
- Gautam Ghosh plans documentary on Mamata Banerjee - May 18, 2011
- Jalandhar collapse: Worker rescued after 72 hours - Apr 19, 2012
- Kolkata's debutant voters excited and cautious - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: atrocities against women, attackers, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, crime rate, family members, four women, friday night, karmakar, miscreants, police station, pregnant woman, protest march, stomach, trinamool congress, two men, youth leader