Woman raped in Bengal, minister says law and order bestAugust 22nd, 2012 - 12:31 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 21 (IANS) Even as reports of rape of a mentally challenged woman surfaced Tuesday, senior Trinamool Congress leader and West Bengal Transport Minister Madan Mitra claimed the state was “number one” in law and order in the country.
When reporters sought Mitra’s comments on the alleged rape of the 30-year-old woman in neighbouring Howrah district, the minister said:”If you make a comparative study of the law and order situation in Bengal and other states, you will find we are number one among all the states”.
Police said the mentally challenged 30 year old victim was rescued near the Kona Expressway in Howrah district Saturday and admitted to Howrah State General Hospital.
The police investigators have claimed that the woman was abducted from Ultadanga in the city’s northeastern part and raped near an adjacent expressway.
A police case has been started at Jagacha police station, but no arrests have been made so far.
- Rape case handling shows Mamata in poor light (Lead, West Bengal Newsletter) - Feb 19, 2012
- Rape case handling shows Mamata in poor light (West Bengal Newsletter) - Feb 19, 2012
- Three held for murder of mentally-ill woman in Bengal - Jul 12, 2012
- Woman's body exhumed following rape, murder allegations - Jul 12, 2012
- Doctor detained in murder of mentally-ill woman in Bengal - Jul 15, 2012
- Widow 'gang-raped' by train robbers in Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
- Bengal transport employee kills self, government blamed - Jan 25, 2012
- Kashmiri woman alleges rape by army men - Jul 22, 2011
- Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and mute - Feb 29, 2012
- Crime reports an anti-government campaign: Bengal minister - Aug 19, 2012
- Kolkata police find holes in rape case; Mamata says cooked up (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Three held for forcing woman to foetus sex test (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Howrah-bound Rajdhani derails in Bengal - Aug 30, 2010
- Husband facilitates wife's gang rape in Bengal, absconding - Mar 23, 2012
- Congress, Trinamool in verbal duel over Chidambaram comments (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: abducted, alleged rape, comparative study, congress leader, general hospital, howrah district, kolkata, law and order, madan, mitra, old woman, police case, police investigators, police station, transport minister, trinamool congress, west bengal