Woman minister gets wolf whistles in French parliamentJuly 21st, 2012 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 21 (IANS) A 37-year-old woman minister, who wore a knee-length floral summery dress and high heels to parliament, faced a barrage of wolf-whistles from male MPs when she stood up to give a speech.
Housing Minister Cecile Duflot also faced yells of “Phwoarr” Friday as she tried to make a speech to the National Assembly in Paris, The Sun reported Saturday.
She began, “Ladies and gentlemen… obviously, more gentlemen than ladies”, but her words were drowned out.
After the howling, the minister said: “I have worked in the building trade and I have never seen anything like that. This tells you something about our MPs. I just think of their wives.”
Duflot was a former town planner who once wore jeans to a cabinet meeting.
Members of the Union for a Popular Movement, the party of former president Nicolas Sarkozy, were widely blamed for the abuse, The Sun said.
A video of the incident caused an outrage, with many people saying it highlighted the shortcomings of the political class.
MP Patrick Balkany, a close friend of Sarkozy, said Duflot put on the knee-length dress “so we wouldn’t listen to what she was saying”.
Women’s Rights Minister Najat Vallaud-Belkacem said: “Sexism has no frontiers. We should set a better example.”
- French minister seeks end of prostitution in Europe - Jun 23, 2012
- Couple jailed in France for mutilating daughters' genitals - Jun 04, 2012
- Women make style statements with hats at royal wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Kate Winslet donates her couture to charity at fundraising gala - Mar 22, 2011
- Minogue wants dresses with flattering arms - Jun 29, 2011
- David Guetta renews vows - Aug 30, 2012
- Films less scary than walking ramp: Tara Sharma - Mar 03, 2012
- Priyanka Chopra Shot With A Bull And An Alligator - Jul 30, 2010
- Men in black, beauties in gowns ruled IIFA green carpet - Jun 06, 2010
- Lady Gaga leaves desi 'monsters' wonderstruck - Oct 31, 2011
- Mulligan has no interest in fashion - Feb 11, 2011
- Victoria Beckham praises Lady Gaga - Nov 11, 2010
- Woman in veil to run for French presidency - Sep 23, 2011
- LFW: Siddharth Mallya in tuxedo, Amy Jackson in sari - Aug 04, 2012
- Michelle Obama dons Halston to celeb-studded White House Correspondents' Dinner - May 01, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,